Uncarbable beer?

I brewed a big stout that started at 1.100 and finished at 1.030. It was too sweet so I watered it down a bit with some other weaker stout. It tastes fine now but it will not carb. I’ve had it on gas for a month or more and it has no carbonation. I just put another keg on of a wheat beer that carbed right up in no time and that stout is still falt as can be. Any ideas? Because its a bigger beer would it need higher pressure? I have the same pressure going to 3 kegs, all at 12 pounds.

The stout dispenses fine so there is no blockage any where.

how much head space does the keg have? I have found that when I “over” fill my kegs, they won’t carb well until there is a little more head space. then bamm they are carbed and ready to go.

I’ve had a couple of stubborn beers and what worked for me was to raise the pressure to 30 psi for a couple of days, then drop it to 20 for a couple more, bleed off the pressure and drop it to 12, let it settle down a day or two, then start pouring. In fact, this is pretty much how I carb all my kegs now just so I know they’ll be ready within a week.

I’ve carbonated tequila at the same psi I carb an IPA at so I don’t think the ‘big-ness’ of the beer is a factor. I’ll second the headroom thought. Get it ice cold and give it some room and perhaps shake the hell out of it.

I have had some BVIP’s which would not carb until I shook the keg a bit. I think something (vanilla or bourbon?) was forming a barrier on top of the beer and would not let the CO2 get through. It was fine after I did the shakey shake.

That sounds awful but I tip my cap to your thinking outside of the box.

Ha! I tried to carbonate Jägermeister, but to no avail - too thick. :wink:

Well yes it sounds awful because it is tequila. But the idea is brilliant. Carbonated gin would make for some awesome Mules (gin, lime, simple syrup, some ginger and soda).

That sounds awful but I tip my cap to your thinking outside of the box.[/quote]

[quote=“atoms”]Well yes it sounds awful because it is tequila. But the idea is brilliant. Carbonated gin would make for some awesome Mules (gin, lime, simple syrup, some ginger and soda).

That sounds awful but I tip my cap to your thinking outside of the box.[/quote][/quote]

I actually used some really good tequila and it carbonated just fine. The problem was it was an excellent sipping tequila (Milagro Resposada) but to get the tactile sensation of the carbonation you had to take a mouthful instead of a tiny sip. A mouthful of tequila isn’t good for anyone. :slight_smile: It was just one of those things I wanted to try…heh.

And I will save you all some time, don’t try to ferment Red Bull. It will ferment but ohhhhh… it’s nasty! :oops:

edit - for the record I used a Carbonator cap and a 1 liter bottle. I didn’t actually fill a keg with tequila :slight_smile:

We call that a “shot”. :wink:

We call that a “shot”. :wink: [/quote]

Yeah, carbonation adds an entirely new angle on that. :lol: