Type of CO2

Found a place nearby called Airgas…they have plenty of gas but apparently there are many types of CO2. Anything I should stay away from, or a type that’s best for a beer keg? I’d imagine something food-grade?

They are feeding you a line of BS. CO2 is CO2.

I get my tank filled from a fire extinguisher shop. Cheaper than the local AirGas and other welding shops.

The shop owner brewed beer years ago. So he knows what he is doing.

Just don’t use CO2 with lubricating oil mixed in, like for paintball guns.

tell them what you are using it for they will steer you in the right direction. chances are you arent the only one who buys co2 from them for their home draft system.

I fill my CO2 at the local paintball shop. It comes straight out of the huge green CO2 cylinders directly from Airgas. They know it’s for homebrew, and have stated they fill a lot of cylinders for our collective purpose.

So guess the point is to simply ask before having your cylinder filled.

[quote=“Positive Voodoo”]I fill my CO2 at the local paintball shop. It comes straight out of the huge green CO2 cylinders directly from Airgas. They know it’s for homebrew, and have stated they fill a lot of cylinders for our collective purpose.

So guess the point is to simply ask before having your cylinder filled.[/quote]

I’ve filled my 9oz tanks for “kegs on the go” and discussed homebrews/kegging with a paintball shop owner also.

Never seen any oil or other contaminates in my beer.

I ran a paintball shop for 3 years and there is no difference between that CO2 and the stuff you get at a welding shop used to fill tanks for guys kegerator’s all the time.

Yeah I think I read here that some paintball places use oil. We have plenty of those, so if they don’t use additives I should be OK.

thanks all

I use Airgas here in dallas…just make sure they know it’s for beer and/or ask for “food grade”.

They even put a food-grade lable on my tank so, they’d know when I brought it back for refill, that it had been previously filled with food grade CO2.

cheers.

I (and my friends) better quit buying gas from the paintball shop and fire extinguisher shop. I’m sure they are not buying/producing “food grade” CO2.

:roll:

Food grade and medical grade CO2 are not necessary. Just get regular old CO2.