Type of beer to throw on my Kolsch yeast cake?

I was getting ready to transfer my kolsch into a keg and thought I would make a beer for the yeast cake. What would be a good beer for that Kolsch yeast? I need another IPA on tap and have plenty of homegrown hops on hand(brewers gold and cascade). Would an IPA be a decent choice or should I consider something else?

Go for the IPA. I have a batch of pale ale going with wlp029, first time I used it just wanted to try something different. Only been fermenting for a little bit but I was very pleased with the sample I tasted. When I was looking up wlp029 I found people saying Odell uses wlp029 for their IPA, I never had it personally but it is highly reviewed.

Another Kolsch?

Wyeast has a nice listing of beer choices for each yeast strain.

This is homebrewing, you can make anything with it.

Some folks say the best APAs and IPAs are made with Kolsch yeast. I have one going right now that tastes pretty darn good.

Dmtaylo2, every time I read one of your posts I look at your profile pic and hear the voice of Friar Tuck. Lol. I did brew a chinook ipa for that kolsch yeast.

Make an altbier, like a slightly bitter dunkel, essentially. But yeah, I think you could make just about anything needing a cleaning yeast profile with that.

Step one, pick a beer you like.
Step two, find a recipe.
Step three, brew and dump it on Kolsch yeast
Step four, enjoy your own recipe!

It depends on what kolsch yeast you used. WY2565 has a very distinct flavor that probably wouldn’t work well with anytihng but kolsch. Some other kolsch yeasts are more neutral and would work in other styles.

I made an Amber Kolsch last year because my LHBS had a random assortment of ingredients and Kolsch yeast. That turned out fantastic, the darker malt gave it some more body and maltiness, but it still retained some of the Kolsch flavors. Sort of like a cross between a Kolsch and an American Ale (maybe not as bitter).

[quote=“chad041”]
Dmtaylo2, every time I read one of your posts I look at your profile pic and hear the voice of Friar Tuck. Lol. [/quote]

He’s also FDR (Franklin Delano Romanowski) from Seinfeld. I think of eyelash plucking.