Two Hearted Ale/Dead Ringer

I thought Dead Ringer was a clone for Two Hearted Ale? I have the ingredients to do the extract version/recipe that Northern Brewer lists but when I enter them into BeerSmith it’s telling me that I’m at 90+ ibu’s. Two Hearted Ale is in the 50’s as far as I know.

What gives? (ha)

Are you doing a partial boil or a full boil? If you have it entered as a full boil in BeerSmith you get more bitterness from your hops in more water than if you do a partial boil and top it off

ahhh. I have it down as a 4 gallon boil. I save about a gallon and a half of cold water to top off while I’m chilling. Could account for the difference I guess. Thanks. I guess I’ll just have to adjust my hop schedule then.

edited to add… Nevermind. I had accidentally had in 9lbs Amber Malt instead of 9lbs Amber Malt extract ha…

I thought Dead Ringer was a clone of Centennial IPA from Founders. I have made it several times. It tastes just like centennial back to back.

Pretty sure it’s a Two Hearted Ale clone. Here’s a funny story I saw online about how Northern Brewer had to change the name on it’s kit… ‘Partially True’ from what it says…

http://www.thelocalbeet.com/2011/04/01/ ... roversies/

The kit’s original name was “Three Hearted Ale” - so there you go.

[quote=“SolomonsCommune”]ahhh. I have it down as a 4 gallon boil. I save about a gallon and a half of cold water to top off while I’m chilling. Could account for the difference I guess. Thanks. I guess I’ll just have to adjust my hop schedule then.

edited to add… Nevermind. I had accidentally had in 9lbs Amber Malt instead of 9lbs Amber Malt extract ha…[/quote]

Enter it as 5 gallons at the end out the boil. Adding 1 gallon of cold water will dilute the sugar and IBU’s.

What?! Really? I absolutely LOVE Founder’s Centennial IPA. This makes me want to order a Dead Ringer kit ASAP. Did you make the extract or all-grain version? This kinda makes sense, though. I just checked the Dead Ringer recipe and it uses all Centennial hops.

My apologies to all for hijacking this thread. This comment piqued my curiosity. Big time.

For anyone else stumbling on this who likes Founder’s Centennial…

I PM’d Chad and he said he has only made the all-grain version. He said to follow the NB recipe. The dry yeast or liquid yeast don’t make much difference, but he always uses at least 2 oz. Centennial for the dry hop and has also added an oz. of Simcoe with great results.

I’m going to make Dead Ringer for my first all-grain recipe FOR SURE and compare it to Founder’s Centennial IPA. Can’t wait!

Bell’s Brewery. Dead Ringer. Get it?

Yeah, I get that it’s a Two Hearted Clone. Thanks. I also heard how it used to be called “Three Hearted Ale” but NB had to change the name.

Quite honestly though, if the beer ends up tasting more like a Founder’s Centennial clone, I’d prefer that over a Two Hearted clone. Nothing against Bell’s. I just prefer Founder’s Centennial over Two Hearted.

Again, sorry for hijacking the thread. I’m done :slight_smile:

MIchigan is fortunate, just like MN, to have some awesome breweries. Drinking a few pints of Dead Ringer tonight and it’s a great beer. Will probably make this a staple since I have a few Cents plants out back.

Another hijack of the thread, but does anyone have a clone of All Day IPA. Probably my favorite session beer right now. Love that it’s in cans, which makes it perfect for a hockey or fishing beer.

Even though I can brew it, still love a fresh 2 Hearted. Like Summit EPA, I consider it a gold standard of a particular style.

Cheers!