Trying to hit the mark with a Saison

[quote=“rut6er”][quote=“JuanitaLou”]After much delay I brewed this recipe today. I’m not sure whether I will hope for a banana taste. Seems controversial. This is only my second time brewing and the first without a brew kit plus rehydrating yeast. Anyway, folks here have been super helpful and I have two more questions.

Initial gravity reading is 1.030. Bad? Will this impact the time in the fermenter jug?
Also, I totally forgot to filter the wort through a sieve and it’s quite cloudy. Can I just filter at the bottle stage or am I in for some off flavors?

I guess that’s technically 3 questions.[/quote]

Hi Juanita, can you walk us through your process? According to Brewer’s Friend you will get about 2.75 ABV when starting with a 1030 OG and a 1010 FG. Maybe Brewcat can come in on this. Also, I never filter and have had good results (maybe thats why I got banana flavors lol) http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/[/quote]

Thanks for the vote of confidence but unless she gives us more information I wouldn’t hazard a guess at why her OG is so low. It will barley be beer. As far as straining not a problem , it will settle out.

I first divided by 5 for all of the ingredients since I just have a 1 gallon kit. I had the grains in a mesh brew bag in my kettle for about 75 minutes and tried to keep the temp between 148-152. I noticed big temp differentials between the sides, bottom and towards the top of the kettle. I drained the bag and then followed the rest of the recipe with hop and spice additions. I already think I may just try this same recipe again along with any corrections you guys have.

You have to make sure to stir your mash well. Did you do a full mash or partial? Post the recipe.

I did a full mash. Maybe too ambitious for my 2nd try. I followed the same recipe that was posted here at the start of the thread. I just occasionally stirred the grains gently. I just realized the starting OG was 1.034 not 1.03. Not that different. Do you think it’s worth a full do over?

I see what the issue is…I feel terrible… The recipe I posted:

6.6 pounds of Pilsen Light
1.3 oz Styrian Celeia (4.3 alpha) - 60 mins
1 oz Czech Saaz (4.2 beta)- last 15 mins
1 oz coriander - last 15 mins
Danstar Belle Saison yeast

is an extract recipe :cry: So yeah, it makes sense that the OG would be so low. You would need a lot more grain to get up near the 1058 level. Just back of the napkin says about 12#s.

If I were you I would just finish the batch because, hey, it’s still beer and its just a gallon. Try again and show results. :cheers:

oh no worries! I am new to this process and kind of realized I was going in a bit blind. I will have a laugh about it over an appropriately high alcohol content beer. Do folks have any good recommendations on any good all-grain guides/books/sites?

O-M-G yes… get the book but also available online. How to Brew by John Palmer.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... YX4umIFncA

All in with all grain. I like that. That’s what I did. Extract brewing and all grain are two different beasts. If you want to be an all grain brewer brewing a few extracts doesn’t help you be a better all grain brewer so you might as well jump right in . Enjoy :cheers:

I find the Belle Saison to finish better in the low 80’s.
I start it out in the low 60’s for a week or so, then let it warm up naturally. Eventually I strap a seed starter mat to the side and warm it up into the low 80’s for a week or two.
Finishes at 1.004 or lower every time.

[quote=“Pietro”]I’m going off of BJCP and BA guidelines which do not mention banana in a saison. Pepper, citrus, spicy/floral/grassy hops, maybe some low barnyard, sure. But a 10-year old BYO article when there was essentially one example of the style out there and it was pretty novel and unfamiliar to American beer writers is not a good place to get a style guideline. Though I will give you that its a hugely wide style with a lot of variance. I just don’t think that variance should include banana or bubblegum like the weizens.

I’m also going off my own taste preferences. Like you, I think Dupont is the gold standard for this style. But unlike you I get zero banana in that beer. Pepper, citrus, all subtle, and bone dry. That is what I love about the style. Banana is specifically what I don’t like about hefes, so I would probably spit out (or at least be annoyed) at a saison that truly has it.

Yes, belle saison (and all saison yeasts, and all beer yeast) produces esters and phenols, but it should not be producing the banana phenol (the specific name is escaping me).

I didn’t mean to create a whole debate here, but as an avid fan of saison, I feel the need to differentiate it from the weizen category, of which I am far from an avid fan (except weizenbock). In any event, it sounds like you brewed a beer that you love, which is what its all about, so enjoy and cheers![/quote]

The Dupont strain is low in banana esters, but I often pick up tons of bubblegum from it. It’s actually noted for the bubblegum flavor. In Farmhouse Ales (p. 168), Phil Markowski says about the Dupont strain, “… it produces a vast array of aromas and flavors–white pepper, mango, passion fruit, clove, bubble gum (juicy fruit – anyone), and general tropical fruit notes.”

I haven’t personally picked up much banana taste or aroma, but Markowski (p. 135-136) notes about the aroma profile of Saisons, they “generally posses classic fruity, ale-like aromatics. Several versions have a distinctive (notably pepper) yeast character as well as typical ale-like esters (apricot, bubblegum, banana) with a notable reduction in classic clove-like phenols.”

So I think it’s fair to say that some Saison yeast strains produce banana esters despite there being no mention in the BJCP and BA guidelines. The guidelines need work for Saison imo, because the OG range is too high on the low end. A classic Saison is in the range of 3% to 5% ABV, and the BJCP OG low end for OG will put you over 5% in most cases. I’ve been fortunate in that several local brewpubs, including my favorite – Shillings Brewery in Littleton, NH – have produced low alcohol traditional Saisons over the past few years. I prefer these session Saisons over most of the high alcohol versions available at my specialty beer stores in bombers.

But Markowski also says (p. 129), “Saisons defy easy categorization, and are sometimes rife with contradictions.” So I think pretty much anything goes!

:cheers:

[quote=“JohnnyB”]But Markowski also says (p. 129), “Saisons defy easy categorization, and are sometimes rife with contradictions.” So I think pretty much anything goes!

:cheers: [/quote]
Fantome, anyone? Although, I think those guys are somewhere between brilliant and completely nuts…