Trying new chilling method

I brewed two lagers yesterday. The wort had to be chilled to 50 degrees. That was going to take forever so I decided to cool to 80 degrees using my IWC then drop them in my freezer which is set to 50 degrees. When I get home tonight I will add the yeast. Has anybody else done this? If it works out, I am going to do this with all of my batches saving water and time.

My ground water has been 70-75. My CFC will drop it within a few degrees of that then I use the freezer to drop the last 5-10. Usually by the time I clean up I’m at pitch temp. People do no chill without problems so I think we’re good

Check the temperature first; it’ll take a pretty long time to get it all the way down to 50.

I put 90F wort in my chest freezer yesterday and within 3 hours it was at 63 and ready to pitch. Getting to 50 would have taken about another hour.

If you can swirl the fermenter it will help ensure that the entire solution is at the desired temp rather than just the outsides.

This is SOP for any lagers I’m doing. My water typically comes out of the tap at 55-58 degrees or so, so I generally chill all my batches to 60 degrees, then the lagers go into my temp controlled freezer until they’re the proper pitching temperature.

I’ve heard of some people just dumping frozen foods and meats into their cooling water… :mrgreen:

Okay, okay, that wasn’t called for. :twisted:

I’m going to pass on throwing in a few Hungry Man dinners. :slight_smile:

[quote=“porkchop”]I’ve heard of some people just dumping frozen foods and meats into their cooling water… :mrgreen:

Okay, okay, that wasn’t called for. :twisted: [/quote]
That guy didn’t stick around long did he…

[quote=“Loopie Beer”][quote=“porkchop”]I’ve heard of some people just dumping frozen foods and meats into their cooling water… :mrgreen:

Okay, okay, that wasn’t called for. :twisted: [/quote]
That guy didn’t stick around long did he…[/quote]Thankfully …

Porkchop, you always find a way to make us chuckle!

:cheers:

Ron

…“How do you handle a Hungry Man?”…

Hey, frozen pork chops? Sneezles61 :lol: