Trying for a pale ale...help please?

I’m trying to come up with an american pale ale recipe. what do you think?

1lb of rahr Pale Ale Malt steep at 170
8lbs of NB organic light malt syrup
1 oz Chinook boil 60 min
.5 oz Falconer’s Flight boil 20 min
1 oz Falconer’s Flight boil 5 min
2 oz Wilamette boil 0 min
White Labs 001 California Ale yeast
dry hop with 1.5 oz whole leaf Chinook hops

The Pale Ale malt needs to be mashed, not steeped. Keep the temp in the 150 range for 45-60 minutes.

Organic LME? If you want organic, you should find organic Pale malt and hops. Otherwise you are wasting your money.

Otherwise the recipe looks drinkable.

Okay so if I don’t have a grain crusher then what grains should I go for? Also, I’m not looking to make organic, just looking for a lighter malt extract without going to the NB gold, since its so dark.

thanks

[quote=“sunshine22”]Okay so if I don’t have a grain crusher then what grains should I go for? Also, I’m not looking to make organic, just looking for a lighter malt extract without going to the NB gold, since its so dark.

thanks[/quote]

I’m not an expert on extract brewing, but don’t grains need to be crushed for steeping as well as mashing?

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]
I’m not an expert on extract brewing, but don’t grains need to be crushed for steeping as well as mashing?[/quote]
Excluding flaked grains, all grain should be crushed.

[quote=“sunshine22”]Okay so if I don’t have a grain crusher then what grains should I go for? Also, I’m not looking to make organic, just looking for a lighter malt extract without going to the NB gold, since its so dark.

thanks[/quote]
Crystal/caramel and roasted malts can generally be steeped, however they should be crushed.

thanks[/quote]

If you are just doing small amounts and only for steeping, you can probably just use a rolling pin or something like that to crush the grains.

What are you going for with steeping the grains? Normally steeping is used for adding color/flavor. It sounds like you want a very light colored beer. You could probably skip the grains if you want a light colored beer just showcasing the hop flavor. Most NB recipes call for 1/2 to 1lb of a caramel malt of some sort to add a little color and flavor. They can be bought crushed if you don’t have a mill.

thanks[/quote]

Use Extra Light DME.

You can still use some Pale malt or regular 2 row to give it a “Fresher” taste. But soak it at 150* for 30-60 minutes instead of 170* for 15-20.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”][quote=“sunshine22”]Okay so if I don’t have a grain crusher then what grains should I go for? Also, I’m not looking to make organic, just looking for a lighter malt extract without going to the NB gold, since its so dark.

thanks[/quote]

If you are just doing small amounts and only for steeping, you can probably just use a rolling pin or something like that to crush the grains.[/quote]

Just make sure it isn’t SWMBO’s favorite rolling pin.

Okay, yeah I am going for a moderately bright beer. I want to almost copy a Sierra Nevada pale ale, but with a little bit more hoppiness. Not an IPA though. So DME and caramel malt?

[quote=“sunshine22”]I want to almost copy a Sierra Nevada pale ale, but with a little bit more hoppiness. Not an IPA though. So DME and caramel malt?[/quote]Exactly. Light DME, 1lb or so C-60, OG around 1.055, IBUs around 40 and finish with Cascade hops. Take a look at this thread on cloning a SNPA, there are some extract recipes on the second page:
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=15532