Topaz IPA

I’m planning an IPA using Topaz hops. My first time using them so I thought I would try a single hop beer similar to a Two Hearted. Thoughts? A good idea or no? Any recommendations if I decide to pair the Topaz with something else?

O.G. 1.064
IBU 60.0
10.50 lb Pale Ale Malt (2 Row) US (3.5 SRM)
0.88 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Munich Malt (8.3 SRM
0.50 oz Topaz [16.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Topaz [16.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Topaz [16.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Topaz [16.50 %] - Aroma Steep 15.0 min
1.50 oz Topaz [16.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

I haven’t had the best experiences with true single hop beers, but thats my own $0.02. If I want to showcase one hop, I will usually bitter with a small dose of magnum and FWH and late-addition the hop of choice. I should theoretically do 2 boils, one ‘my’ way, and one the true ‘single hop’ way.

I love single hop ales…so much so that for the last 3-4 years, most of my brews have in fact been single hop. Sometimes I’ll use a second variety for a late addition or dry hopping.

Some argue that using more complicated hop additions add ‘complexity’. In my experience, I find that instead it muddles things. Of course, the only way to come to a decision on that is to experiment for yourself; I learned long ago that relying on someone else’s opinion can often steer a brewer away from something they may really like.

I guess part of what I was looking for is some info on the hop itself. There really is little to no feedback on this hop in general. I enjoy trying single hop beers, but if it would benefit from the addition of a complimentary hop, I’d like that feedback before I brew.

+1000.

I gave you MY opinion. But if you want to learn about the hop, brew the single hop beer with it. It will be good. Maybe even awesome. It is my personal experience, with MY PALETTE, that didn’t really dig the single hops I have made, although I really enjoy most of my other beers.

Another option is to steep a few pellets and make a tea. I can’t remember this either gives you the aroma and not the flavor or vice versa. Supposedly hop teas help you sleep and give you weirder dreams than eating head cheese, salami, and mortadella before bed :cheers:

[quote=“The Professor”]
I learned long ago that relying on someone else’s opinion can often steer a brewer away from something they may really like.[/quote]

[quote=“Pietro”]
I gave you MY opinion. But if you want to learn about the hop, brew the single hop beer with it. It will be good. Maybe even awesome.[/quote]

Either way it will be beer, and probably pretty good. Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate it. I think I’ll stick with the original recipe I posted and see what it does.
:cheers:

Just to clarify my statements, your recipe looks spot on - malt bill is very similar to my ‘house’ IPA. Assuming your processes are clean and ferment temps are under control, this will be a fine fine beer. Please post tasting notes on Topaz! I am currently obsessed (and well-stocked) with Galaxy, as you can see from my autosig.

Would love to get my hands on some Belmas and some Pacific Jades. In a comp a few months back, I judged 14 IPAs/IIPAs, then 13 or so APA/ABA/AAA’s, and the one beer that stood out to me clearly used some of those Southern Hemisphere hops. Everything from lychees to lime/lemon/lemongrass to exotic fruits. Cool stuff.

I like the recipe, but IMO, I’d do a pale ale showcasing one hop versus an IPA. Less grains and less hops, which means if you don’t like it, or it tastes funky,you didn’t use as many supplies. I too am into single hop beers. I currently have an all Columbus pale on tap now which tastes delicious. I have also done it the other way mentioned using a neutral bittering hop, and then the showcased hop as a fwh and late/ dry additions. Let us know how it turns out.

The recipe is actually a slight variation of Greg Muller’s Two Hearted Clone. I’ve brewed that a few times and have a pretty good idea on the flavor profile of it. So I wanted to use a recipe that I was familiar with in order to test a new hop flavor. I purchased 8 ounces of the Topaz and am planning on using 4 in this batch. I have tweaked the recipe just a bit to bitter with Magnum and just use the Topaz for late and dry hopping.
I will definitely report back on the taste of this, as feed back on the hop itself does seem to be pretty sparse.

Thanks for all your input.
:cheers:

Metron-brewer. I am curious, how this turned out?

I think it turned out pretty good. I would make it again. The Topaz came through nicely I thought. The beer was not too bitter and the citrus came through from the Topaz. I’ve been fighting a bit of off flavors on a couple of my beers, including this one, that I think can be attributed to some old Munich malt. So I think the overall flavor may not have been a true representation of the hop. I did tweak the final recipe a bit, adding some Cascade in at 5-0 and to the dry hop. I can send you a copy of the BeerSmith file if you would like just pm me.

Hops Used
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.50 oz Magnum 14.7 [14.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 24.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Topaz [16.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 20.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [7.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 4.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Topaz [16.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 11.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [7.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 14 2.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Topaz [16.50 %] - Aroma Steep 15.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [7.30 %] - Aroma Steep 15.0 min Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [7.30 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Topaz [16.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs

Grains Used