Top portion of wort is lighter color question

I pitched a starter and 18 hours later no krausen or signs of fermentation…but the top portion of the wort is lighter in color then the bottom…is this the yeast getting geared up and reproducing to begin fermentation?

It’s solids in your wort settling out. 18 hours? Don’t sweat it, be patient.

Right on Denny…thats exactly what im gonna do…do you think if nothing happens in say 72 hours i should pitch more yeast?

Right on Denny…thats exactly what im gonna do…do you think if nothing happens in say 72 hours i should pitch more yeast?[/quote]

72 hours is where I start thinking about taking action. But even if it seems to take forever to get started, it almost never goes 72 hours without showing signs of fermentation. I think maybe once or twice in 437 batches have I had that happen. I’d bet that by tomorrow you;ll be seeing fermentation.

Right on Denny…thats exactly what im gonna do…do you think if nothing happens in say 72 hours i should pitch more yeast?[/quote]

72 hours is where I start thinking about taking action. But even if it seems to take forever to get started, it almost never goes 72 hours without showing signs of fermentation. I think maybe once or twice in 437 batches have I had that happen. I’d bet that by tomorrow you;ll be seeing fermentation.[/quote]

I usually shake often and can tell by watching the agitation of shaking if the little guys are waking up