Too soon to rack?

I’ve had a brew in a plastic primary for almost 48 hours now, and yesterday we experienced a heat spike I didn’t know was coming. I was at work all day as I helplessly discovered that my beer was exposed to 70+ degrees in my apt. I desperately need to move it to a more temperate environment (i.e. my friends basement across town); so, I wonder if it’s too soon to rack it into a glass carboy and is it too much jostling to have it in the car and drive?

P.S. How do I rectify my high temp fermentation situation?

Why would you want to rack it?

This^^^.

If it were me, I’d wrap it in a wet towel and just let evaporation (swamp cooling) do the rest to keep it cool.

cheers.

I want to rack it because I’ll be out of town for about a week (only expected a few days on the trip initially) and at that point I want it in glass rather than plastic. But, if you guys think its fine you’ve never steered me wrong so far.

Thanks! And I’ll try the swamp cooling. Would it help if the wet towel was constantly assaulted with a fan?

I’d try a swamp cooler. A week in plastic won’t kill it. You just want to stay away from plastic buckets for extended periods of time. A week won’t make a difference.

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”]I want to rack it because I’ll be out of town for about a week (only expected a few days on the trip initially) and at that point I want it in glass rather than plastic.[/quote]Typical fermentation schedule for me is three weeks in a bucket and I’d be comfortable leaving beer in a bucket for at least a couple of months before worrying about oxidation.

Leave it be. There’s no difference if it’s in plastic or glass. Make a swamp cooler if you want, but if it’s already been fermenting 48hrs and you already had the temperature spike that damage is done. You want to control temps for the first 5 days or so of fermentation. After that it’s not a big concern. You’re smack in the middle. Get it cool now and then just let it be for a few weeks. DO NOT RACK IT YET!!! WAY too early.

Thanks guys, as always you’ve confirmed my suspicions and saved me a lot of grief. What kind of effects should I expect from the high temps?

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”]What kind of effects should I expect from the high temps?[/quote]Laser light show and flying monkeys, usually. Plus maybe a little hot alcohol on the tongue, or maybe not, depends on how hot it got and the yeast.

I suspect the alcohol will be really high already… honey and weizen DME in the mix.

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”]I suspect the alcohol will be really high already… honey and weizen DME in the mix.[/quote]At higher temps the yeast can produce fusels, which can smell and taste a little like acetone (nail polish remover) and they give many people headaches. Very different from the alcohol warmth that comes with higher ABVs.