To ESB or not to ESB that is the Question

Hi All,
I was designing a light, pleasing, mild and quaffable APA when I came across Brother Lenard’s ESB input. So after reading his posts, I purchased some English grains. I don’t have any English hops besides Fuggles but from what I’ve read about them I don’t want to chance a way too earthy brew. I do enjoy the bitterness and aroma of the hops I’ve listed. I have on hand WY1272 along with some harvested US-04 so theoretically I could go ESB or stick to plan. I was looking for some input on my recipe. Also, based on my percentages, does including the Munich do anything for this batch? Thanks, Mike

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 10.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

7.5 lbs Golden Promise 80.0 %
1 lbs Munich 10.7 %
10 oz English Medium Crystal 6.7 %
4.0 oz Wheat, Flaked 2.7 %
0.50 oz Perle FWH
0.50 oz Super Galena FWH
0.40 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.40 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.40 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
0.40 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop
American Ale II Wyeast#1272 (w/ starter)
Or US-04

i think it looks good. i don’t know if i would call it an ESB with all those late addition hops. i believe whichever yeast you choose, it will be very good. decide what to call if after the finished product. maybe it’ll taste just like an ESB, or maybe it’ll taste like a pale.

i had the same question about a week ago. so i decided to do 10 gallons, 1 fermenter with 1056, the other with 1968. i made mine with 50/50 fuggles and goldings. and so far, it smells great

whichever you choose. good luck! I’m sure it will be good

Ha, deja vu. I just posted on your ESB :smiley:

Thank you for your response. I’m leaning toward using 1272 b/c my 04 may be too old to cut the mustard. I’m liking my grain bill. Any thoughts on the munich to stay or go?

A little Munich/Vienna in an APA can be a good thing - add a bit to the malt backbone, make it more interesting. I’d go with the 1272 over the US-04.

+1000! Love me some Munich and/or Vienna in APA’s and IPA’s. And also really like 1272 to ferment both styles. Liking the way you think shadetree.
:cheers:

As a side note, I brewed a Vienna Calypso IPA a few months ago. Tasted fantastic!
Almost all Vienna, a little C120 and a little Caramunich II. Magnum for bittering and Calypso hop-bursting during the final 15min and dry hop. Not a big fan of the hop-bursting I found out. That much hops near the end of the boil left a bad taste for the first few weeks it was in the keg. Kind of astringent. I was worried something else was wrong but later read that can be an adverse side effect of hop bursting. But after about 3-4 weeks, it waste just great!