Timing Diacetyl rest?

Usually the diacetyl rest is begun when the beer is 2 to 5 specific gravity points away from the target terminal gravity. Now how many day’s into fermentation would this be I know each fermentation is different but what would be a rough estimate to start taking hydrometer reading’s would I take reading like everyday or wait about 5days into fermentation an then test with hydrometer to see where I am at?

I assume you are brewing a lager, so fermentation is usually a little more restrained at 48-52* or so. Therefore 5-7 days in would be a reasonable time to take a reading.

I did a bit of research with my last lager and the recent consensus is its never(within reason) too late to do a diacetyl rest; the simple act of warming it up activates the yeast to clean up waste products.

I’ve never had diacetyl. However doing a DA rest is like wearing a seasick patch…I’ve never been seasick but I’ve always wore the patch when sailing.

My process for lager has always 2 or 3 weeks fermentation around 48 degrees then just warm to room temp for a week then into the keg for the lagering period. Never had a touch of diacetal. An all my lagers are super clean. Some say you don’t even need the d-rest. I do it anyway since it’s no big deal.

1 Like

Pretty much what I do…I don’t do any step up in temperature either. When it’s time for the DA rest I simply take the carboy out of the fermigerator, carry it into the house and set it on a countertop( shrouded from fluorescent or natural light). Room temperature. Generally 3-5 days for me…if someone has detected DA, then longer.

I think it’s reasonable and even a good idea for @Hardbrewer123 to do it “by the book” , at least until he gets some confidence with his process.

Diacetyl is largely a result of pitching an undersized amount of yeast. However, performing a rest is really really cheap insurance so I too perform one.

I however use the ramp method. I will ferment at 50° for a week of ACTUAL fermentation then raise 2° every 12 hours until I reach room temp, usually around 65°. I will let it sit for 3 days before ramping temps down 5° every 12 hours. By then it will be fine to crash it out.

I don’t check the SG before raising temp for a D-rest. I usually go after 4-5 days or when the visible activity is slowing down. Usually I’m doing my lagers in the winter, ala old style in a water bath in my basement. Ice bottles if needed to lower the temp, and an aquarium heater for the D-rest. Works for me…
I’ve never detected diacetyl in any of my beers thank god, because I’m apparently sensitive and can pick it up in other homebrews and even some commercial beers when others can’t. And I Do Not appreciate it!

I admit I’ve had a diacetyl bomb in my early lager days. Funny thing was it wasn’t there when I kegged it. A few weeks later I went back to it for a gravity reading and it was disgusting.

Out of shear desperation I pitched a packet of 34/70. Not sure what happened but a week later the diacetyl was gone…

Worked well.

Any widely available commercial beer? Pilsner Urquell? I’m not sure I’ve really tasted diacetyl…butterscotch, buttered popcorn, sure but not in a beer that I’ve perceived.

Nothing I can think of now. There was a local beer a few years back- Gritty’s Halloween ale that was absolutely great one year. The next year I bought a case, and damn it, they tasted like a butterbeer. I tossed the bunch. I suppose I should have complained, but I was new in the brewing game at that point, and wasn’t sure enough of myself. I do occasionally get something on draft that tastes a little buttery. To me it is the movie theater popcorn smell and flavor. And guess what- I live in a condiment free zone. I really can’t stand the taste of butter, margarine, or really any condiment, with the exception of Salsa. Yes, I do know I’m weird.

1 Like

WHEW… I’m glad you said that! Sneezles61

Just curious. Does the procedure vary depending on the strain of lager yeast used, or do you all perform the exact same procedure regardless of strain used?

Different stains produce more of it than others. It is a by product of lager yeast fermenting at cooler temptures most ale strains do not produce it

So to reply to the answer… All my brews get a DA rest… Like Damian sez, lagers are the main producer, yet there is some in ales too… sometimes it is part of the flavors of a certain yeast… My reason is simple… I claim it to “finish off” the fermentation… Its my way and procedure… After that, I’ll dry hop, or just chill, then rack into the keg and condition… Sneezles61

1 Like

Yep, I raise the temp on all my brews the last couple of days too. And the same reason.

1 Like