Time to plant!

Soil temp in our raised beds a balmy 50* Planted peas today! 114 peas! I refer to them as garden candy! Sneezles61

1 Like

They are like candy. When my dad stops by I will catch him out in the garden picking away and stuffing his face. I write off about half the crop each year, haha.

1 Like

We had a freeze Friday night which I’m guessing will be our last for the season. I’ve always waited until closer to our last frost date, first week of May, but I’d like to plant some things earlier this year.

Hopefully this week I’ll get out some peas, onion sets, kale, lettuce, spinach, carrots and potatoes.

1 Like

I used to throw vegetable pieces in garden and most of the time the plant grows.

My first crop is done… Second crop a couple of inches tall… Sneezles61

My tomotoes were really late getting ripe this year, then the stink bugs attacked them. They’re looking good now. Need to can some sauce. Weeds have been really bad this year too with all the rain. Mid August and our grass is still green and needs mowing every 4-5 days. I’m about to sow more beets and greens for fall.

We have a late tomato season here also… Should’ve had the first BLT by now… Peppers are in big time… start to make some pepper boats… Wild rice, some garden onions, hens of the woods mushrooms, and cottage cheese… MMM! A little tomato sauce…
Dannyboy, I hope you weren’t affected by the trouble this past W/E…
So you have to fence in the beets and greens (I assume lettuce, spinach and the sorts) to keep the deer out? Sneezles61

I have the whole garden fenced in to keep the deer and my dogs out. The bullmastiff will eat tomatoes right off the vines and a couple years ago he decimated my corn. First I thought it was the deer then I caught him at it. Only dog I’ve ever had that loves fruit and veggies.

We’re over an hour north of Charlottesville but I just heard there’s a similar deomstration planned in Leesburg next month and that’s only about 15 minutes from me. Not happy about that.