Thoughts on Wyeast 1056 vs Denny's Favorite 50

Hi folks,

I am planning on brewing a few batches including an APA, IPA and likely an American Wheat. I am considering my yeast choices. I have often used 1056 (and been happy with it…), but my mind is wandering a bit and I am thinking about Denny’s Favorite 1450.

Any thoughts, advice or input on what these two yeasts might due to classic style ales?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

1450 will leave a very slight ester profile and a much fuller, silkier mouthfeel than 1056.

Thanks Denny. It’s pretty cool to hear from this yeast’s father.

So, it seems like the Wheat would be a slam dunk choice to go with 1450. 1450 would also be a good choice for the IPA. In your opinion, should 1056 be the option for a more mainstream APA?

Thanks Denny. It’s pretty cool to hear from this yeast’s father.

So, it seems like the Wheat would be a slam dunk choice to go with 1450. 1450 would also be a good choice for the IPA. In your opinion, should 1056 be the option for a more mainstream APA?[/quote]

It completely depends on what you’re going for. I switch back and forth between 1450 and 1056 depending on what kind of beer I’m in the mood to brew. I use both of them for both APA and IPA.

Got it. Thank you!

I just bottled an IPA last night that I used Denny’s Fav 50 on.

I definately had a pronounced banana aroma when I opened the bucket. My final grav was 1.014 IIRC which was right on to the calculated final in my spreadsheet. (gravity taken 5 days ago)

Denny, you mentioned a very slight estery profile, mine seemed greater than that.

Might over pitching cause a bigger ester profile? I pitched a whole smack pack for a 3.5 gal batch.

Guessing my fem temp was about 68deg. No control except ambient air which is roughly 66 in the house. This is also the first time I attempted to do a mash out step. It was a BIAG so I figured since everything was already on the stove we’ll give it a go. Any effect that may have had on the final product?

I dont mind the aroma but I am hoping it disapates some while conditioning.

Yes, overpitching could cause a bigger ester profile. However, I can’t imaging 1 smack pack (assume no starter) in 3.5 gal batch to be an overpitch.

Yes, overpitching could cause a bigger ester profile. However, I can’t imaging 1 smack pack (assume no starter) in 3.5 gal batch to be an overpitch.[/quote]

More likely would be underpitched depending on OG and age of yeast. Also the temp may be a culprit if ambient was 66, the beer temp may have been north of 70 which can certainly produce more esters.

Yes, overpitching could cause a bigger ester profile. However, I can’t imaging 1 smack pack (assume no starter) in 3.5 gal batch to be an overpitch.[/quote]

More likely would be underpitched depending on OG and age of yeast. Also the temp may be a culprit if ambient was 66, the beer temp may have been north of 70 which can certainly produce more esters.[/quote]

Yeah, I’d have to guess temp, too. All I can say is that I’ve used that yeast hundreds of times over the years. I don’t recall ever getting any banana esters out of it.