This is a new one

On sunday november the 4th i brew an extract kit of karls 90 schilling kit. All went well and the OG was .070 a tad high but ok. I placed this in my fermentation chamber with a dual stage temp controller and carboy heat wrap to regulate temp. Anyhow, it diped into the 20’s and the temp controller failed and the whole thing froze. I called NB and the sent me free yeast,nand were extermly helpful and they perdicted that A. it will restart as it warms up or B. add more yeast. as I waited for the free yeast, thanks NB, i coxed the wort back to temp and the whole thing took off, Nice foam cap and a real nice bubble. I should also state that i did step up the starter and kepted the beer at 67 deg. As i went to check it just now the Krausen is gone and there is very little bubble however i do have a blow off tube in it as i didnt want to handle it that much as i babied it back. Is this a normal occurance after what happened with the freezing or is it toast. I plan on leaving it on the ball and in the primary untill i keg it 4 weeks from now unless its a gonner. Thanks all for any advice.

The only true way to take a gravity reading. Also, just because the krausen is gone doesn’t mean it’s not cleaning up after the party. I would follow your plan and take a gravity reading when you get ready to keg it. My money is on it being just fine.

Thank You Loopie Beer and thanks for the vote of confidence. This crazy brewing life is a giant learning curve. I will follow the path and drink to the best. Thanks again

Best advice I can give you is to relax. The worst that can happen is that you make a bad beer. It won’t kill anyone. Take your time, pay attention, and you will get out what you put in. No matter what happens with this batch, keep going. Remember: ITS NOT THAT HARD! I know it seems that way but, it’s not!

Also, even if you think it’s bad, have others try it. I have made stuff that people LOVE and I am not happy with.

Good Luck and Keep Brewing!

I bet your fine. It sounds like you showed some decent activity. I don’t know about anyone else, but it seems like when I use a blow off the krausen dissipates more quickly than when I use an airlock. If you look close, you might still be able to see some activity. I’ve got a 1070 porter going right now and only had krause for 36 hours.

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]Best advice I can give you is to relax. The worst that can happen is that you make a bad beer. It won’t kill anyone. Take your time, pay attention, and you will get out what you put in. No matter what happens with this batch, keep going. Remember: ITS NOT THAT HARD! I know it seems that way but, it’s not!

Also, even if you think it’s bad, have others try it. I have made stuff that people LOVE and I am not happy with.

Good Luck and Keep Brewing![/quote]

A few years back I had an IPA that wasn’t tasting good to me. I was giving it to a guy, that knows a guy… that has a “recycling” device. He thought it was a great beer and drank it.

You have to admit that its weird… we have all had those beers that other hate or love and that you can’t stand or love. Lat one I remember was Festina Peach… I HATED THAT BEER. It was the first one I almost didn’t finish. ALMOST. :smiley: