The stuff at the bottom of the bottle`

The sediment is only part of the reason not to drink out of the bottle. Think of all the work you put into the beer…don’t you want to see it? Don’t you want to smell the aroma of the hops you paid for? In addition, pouring into a glass will actually improve the flavor the same way that aerating a bottle of wine will.

[quote=“Tullybrook”]I don’t ALLOW anyone to drink craft beers at my place without a glass.[/quote]I encourage my guests to drink their beers however they please and if they want to get the full olafactory experience they are certainly welcome to sniff the bottle neck or can top before tipping back (it’s not like you can breathe through your nose and sip at the same time).

I’m breathin’ and sippin’ right now, my friend :smiley:

you must not have learned how to drink like a fish yet. I could have taught you about 7 years ago. :lol:

So are you sayin’ if I consume the beer completely thru my nose, I’ll be having the ultimate Olfactory party!? :lol:

you don’t already do that? :?

[quote=“Tullybrook”]I’m breathin’ and sippin’ right now, my friend :smiley: [/quote]You have to close your airway to swallow - you’re just sniffin’ and holding beer in your mouth at the same time, which I can do with a bottle if I want to (and look stupid doing it, granted, but all you need is one sniff anyway).

Keg your beer. Then use a bottle filler to fill your bottles. No sediment.

Wouldn’t eat be easier to eat that steak with your hands?

[quote=“Wahoo”]

Wouldn’t eat be easier to eat that steak with your hands?[/quote]

LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Wahoo”][quote=“Ekffazr”]
which is where this whole conversation between him and I started…I was pouring it in to glasses out there, and he commented…wouldn’t it just be easier to drink from the bottle
[/quote]

yeah, but the cows don’t like me getting all “touchy feely”.

[quote=“Wahoo”][quote=“Ekffazr”]
which is where this whole conversation between him and I started…I was pouring it in to glasses out there, and he commented…wouldn’t it just be easier to drink from the bottle
[/quote]

Odd you should ask, went out for dinner last night.

I ate my salad with a fork, to hard to pick up shredded cheese and egg etc. with fingers and the dressing gets my hands yucky LOL

Fish, Shrimp, Ribs, Chicken, I just used fingers for, a forks too slow. LOL
The breaded Okra I used both fork and fingers at times, kinda like eating popcorn and who uses a fork for popcorn :mrgreen:

Course I did not use either fork nor fingers for the soup, heck it was in one of those fat bowls like a coffee cup so just used the handle and drank it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Remembering this thread and all I did drink from a glass to begin with.
I could not tell any difference at all, still tasted just the same and smelled the same and not so interesting to look at either, so I stuck the straw back in my ice water and just drank from it as normal. :twisted:

Jesus. I swear this guy is the Chuck Norris of the homebrew world. :twisted:

Fer real. Don’t take his last beer.

:cheers:

I’ve noticed that adding gelatin to the beer in the bottling bucket makes for a more stable sediment layer. Easier to decant off the clear beer, but if you’re drinking out of the bottle, by the end you’ll probably still stir it up.

The other thing is to be careful to minimize the solids that you transfer over when racking to your bottling bucket. I had one recently that I couldn’t do that and the bottles had much more fluffy sediment in the bottom.

this is the most likely course of action…
failing that I will just say I am out, and its his turn to buy…free beer!!!
:cheers:

[quote=“Ekffazr”][quote=“Pietro”]
Or you could tell your friend to drink yeasty beer and shut his yapper.
[/quote]

this is the most likely course of action…
failing that I will just say I am out, and its his turn to buy…free beer!!!
:cheers: [/quote]

Yet another solution:

Hefeweizen! (mit yeast!)

I’ve always wanted to try riddling and disgorgement with beer, as is done with champagne. Check out “sparkling wine production” on Wikipedia. NB used to have an article about it, but like most of the useful stuff from NB, I can’t find it since they “revamped” the site.

The basic idea is that once bottle carbonation is complete, you store the bottles tilted and jiggle them a bit each day for a week or so, until the yeast is all consolidated at the crown cap. Then you lower the neck and cap of the bottle into a salt/ice mixture so the yeast plug freezes. Then you turn them upright, take off the cap, the yeast plug flies out, and you recap them. They’re bottle-carbed and nearly yeast-free.

Smell is a huge part of tasting your beer. Why put a ton of work into brewing your own beer only to deny yourself of the smell and look of the finished product? Plus, now you have a reason to go buy some sweet beer glasses!

Some Classic Quebecois style for you all. A good portion of their craft beer is done with bottle conditioning as many might have noticed.

Out in the back woods you either drink out of the bottle or your coffee mug. So there is a basic drinking technique I have observed in my interactions with the Canadian Frenchman.

Drink first half of the beer clean. Then swirl the bottle / drink the second half cloudy. Simlpe as that. That way you don’t waste a drop, and you avoid a mouthful of pure sediment at the bottom. Plus there is more nutrition in that yeast than the entire rest of the beer.