The stuff at the bottom of the bottle`

is there any way to filter out the stuff that settles at the bottom of the bottle that anyone has found?
or is it supposed to be there and adds something to a homebrew?

:cheers:

Most people pour carefully and leave it in the bottle. Couple years ago I saw some special caps where you turned the bottle upside down to carbonate and the crud gets thrown away with the cap.

What works for me is to drop the temp in the fermenter into the low 30s for a couple of days (called “cold-crashing”) to encourage the sediment and yeast still in suspension post-fermentation to fall out. Then I add a minimal amount of new yeast to the beer before bottling, usually 1-2 grams is all it takes. This results in a very light dusting of sediment on the bottom of the bottle and it’s easy to leave it there with a reasonably careful pour.

I stopped cold crashing. these days I just give the carboy a hard look & all the yeast drops out. I also quite priming when I bottle. the same look carbonates all the bottles perfectly.

i can see why, you’re one scary dude.

if I take my teeth out first, the bottles will explode. :lol:

Don’t worry 'bout it, that’s where all the heroin is!

Hahaha That made me laugh

I ask because a friend asked my why we cant just drink out of the bottle :?:

tell your friend to get you some kegs, then help you fill bottles from there. :lol: the yeast in the bottom isn’t gonna hurt you. maybe give you some wicked gas or the South Dakota Mud Sprint. and it don’t taste too great either.

Try it, you might like drinking out of the bottle.
I’ve drank mine from the bottle and actually prefer it instead of a glass myself sometimes.
If you don’t go wild swinging the bottle around I’ve found most of my yeast to stay in the bottle.
Leave the last tiny bit of beer to avoid most the yeast.
If you shake it around allot the yeast will mix back into the beer and you end up drinking the yeast.
Not all that bad I don’t think, may depend on what type beer and the yeast used?
It can cause a bit of the WINDS and likely the wind may be bad enough smelling to clear the fly’s from an outhouse LOL

Course the way I eat so often I get about the same winds drinking store bought cheap beer that has no yeast.

My wife tried one straight from the bottle, but she let it sit after opening the bottle for about five minutes, and a cap of foam slowly rose up the neck and over the rim of the bottle. I guess this means I got good carbonation :slight_smile:

Seriously, though, I have nice beer glasses, but they look ridiculous with twelve ounces of beer in them. I’ve got to start either looking at 16 ounce bottles or kegs…

If you are gonna take the time to brew ferment and bottle your beer. then pouring into a glass to enjoy shouldnt seem so tough. maybe your friend doesnt realize all the work that went into making the beer. Im not some pretentious beer snob but you should pour into a glass look at it smell it and taste it. After all you did hand craft it.

The method shadetree mentioned will produce a very clean bottle. I like to add some gelatin to the primary also, and use a high flocc dry yeast to bottle with (so4). Doing this method has given me bottles that resemble SNPA.

Not to be a snob, but you are missing a lot when you drink beer out of the bottle/can. I get that it is ‘cool to do’ sometimes, and maybe it makes some people feel like more of a man, which I personally think is ridiculous. I could drink good brews out of an angular ice wine glass after a crystal decanter and swirl it up to deep inhalations…because I’m drinking awesome beer, not glorfied club soda that BMC minions slug out of bottles.

You don’t get nearly the aroma that you do when pouring the beer into a glass. I also like how it lets some of the carb escape so I don’t have to burp every minute.

Just pour two bottles into your cool beer glasses so they don’t look weird. :slight_smile:

I always end up with sediment at the bottom of the bottle, but I always have the auto siphon sitting on the hump on the bottom center of the carboy when transferring from primary to secondary, or secondary to bottling bucket. Is it better practice to start from the top and follow it down?

[quote=“Andy72”]Is it better practice to start from the top and follow it down?[/quote]For a trub-free transfer, set your racking cane inlet an inch above the yeast cake and rack from there until you can see the little red cap on the end through the beer, then gently push the racking cane down while tilting the fermenter towards the cane (making the beer level higher at the cane), making sure you don’t touch the tip to the cake. As the level drops to the point where you can see the red tip again, keep an eye on the yeast cake so it doesn’t slide too far towards the cane - if you can push the cane deeper and get a little more beer, do so, but keep the tip above the cake at all times.

its just easier when sitting around a bonfire to drink from a bottle (or can)

which is where this whole conversation between him and I started…I was pouring it in to glasses out there, and he commented…wouldn’t it just be easier to drink from the bottle

probably the ideal thing to do is go buy some commercial beers to share with the slugs that come have a fire, but the point of me home-brewing is to NOT go to the liquor store.

maybe I will make horseradish beer, then they wont want mine anymore and will supply their own beer every-time :slight_smile:

I don’t ALLOW anyone to drink craft beers at my place without a glass.

The beer flavor experience is 70% Olfactory, and it works in conjunction with your taste buds on the tongue. If you drink from a bottle, you only experience about 25-30% of the beer taste experience.
No aroma up the nose, if your slugging it in a bottle.

Waste of good beer.

Bottle drink AMPAPs only.

Straight on.

[quote=“Tullybrook”]I don’t ALLOW anyone to drink craft beers at my place without a glass.
[/quote]

Right on, my man… :cheers:

its just easier when sitting around a bonfire to drink from a bottle (or can)

which is where this whole conversation between him and I started…I was pouring it in to glasses out there, and he commented…wouldn’t it just be easier to drink from the bottle

probably the ideal thing to do is go buy some commercial beers to share with the slugs that come have a fire, but the point of me home-brewing is to NOT go to the liquor store.

maybe I will make horseradish beer, then they wont want mine anymore and will supply their own beer every-time :slight_smile: [/quote]

mmmmm…bonfire…

I totally hear that. A great pickup is some clear plastic reusable glassware. no worries about breaking, dishwasher safe, and you can stick your schnozz up in that piece.

I am also weird. I have literally gotten to a point where I will pour Miller High Life into a glass (though there is something REALLY awesome about drinking those ice cold out of the bottle!).

If you really want that experience with homebrew, you are probably talking about some more equipment. Like a kegging setup, filtering setup, and likely a counterpressure bottle filler/Blichmann beer gun. All great stuff to have for a bunch of reasons though!

Or you could tell your friend to drink yeasty beer and shut his yapper.

Stay Thirsty-