Tettnanger Hop Plants - The wild teenager in my hop garden

I have 8 varieties of hops in my garden. Seven of them seem to send out shoots close to the crown, but not my Tettnanger. It wants to send shoots in every direction oftentimes travelling a foot or two before coming out in the grass. Anyone else have this problem with Tettnanger? I seem to have to chop roots with a shovel to keep it at bay a lot more than the other varieties. It wants to keep visiting the other varieties each side of it. Any suggestions on taming this beast? Thanks.

1 Like

Good luck! When I had hops, my centennial sent suckers out 10’-20’ away from where was suppose to grow! Sneezles61

Ha-ha, that sounds like fun! They aren’t the most productive variety either. I guess I will have to cultivate them with a strong hand and break their wild spirit!:smiling_imp:

That’s fairly typical behavior of any rhizome. Some are just more robust than others. You could try putting a barrier of some kind in the ground around it. Rolled tin like flashing is the first thing that comes to mind. If you put it one foot in diameter around the plant you should be able to contain it.

I don’t know about that… I used 2x12 and those crazy suckers just went under it… I think if they want to get away, they will… Kinda like Buffalo… Sneezles61

1 Like

Maybe a recycling bin with the bottom cut out? Or don’t even cut the bottom out and just fertilize it!

Moisture needs to get out… Wet feet with most plants isn’t good. Sneezles61