Temperature question from new brewer

Hi. My first time to the forum. I just moved to hot south Texas and now that we have a house I have room to brew. Started a batch of Irish red ale a week and a half ago, and over the weekend transferred it to a carboy, cleaned the primary fermentation bucket and started a batch of Shining Star pale ale. My question is about temperature. South Texas is crazy hot, and we keep a temperature of about 76-78 degrees F in our house. Feels pretty comfortable, but I realize it’s not ideal for fermenting beer. I didn’t realize how big of a deal it is until I started browsing the forum.

The Irish red had some pretty vigorous bubbling the first couple days, and then it subsided. It looked and smelled great when I siphoned it into the carboy, so I’m optimistic. The pale ale bubbled a little bit the first day or two and now it’s real quiet. Bad sign, or normal? Plus, is doing this at 76-78 degrees just a horrible idea? Any ideas on bringing that down that aren’t crazy expensive?

Plus, I haven’t needed it yet, but how would I go about constructing a blow-off system? Right now I’m just using the stopper that came with the kit. Thanks!

Do a search for “swamp cooler” and you’ll find plenty of info on a cheap and effective way to control beer temp.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103505&p=917359&hilit=swamp+cooler#p917359

That’s it. It’s going in my signature! :smiley:

[quote=“Nighthawk”]http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103505&p=917359&hilit=swamp+cooler#p917359

That’s it. It’s going in my signature! :smiley: [/quote]

^not a bad idea considering how often this comes up. I use the simple swamp cooler and put in frozen water bottles a few times a day to stick the temp around 60-65*.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103505&p=917359&hilit=swamp+cooler#p917359

That’s it. It’s going in my signature! :smiley: [/quote]

It would be really cool to have a FAQ that instantly pops up for the first 20 questions that people ask. Not to pick on this OP, but they are the same, 99% of the time. Not saying that I did not have all the same questions not so long ago.

A stickied FAQ would be awesome.