Tasting my beer

I bottled my beer 2 weeks ago and it is tasting weekend!! I used 2.55-2.60 gr of priming sugar in each bottle, it is time consuming. I never had luck with putting priming sugar in the bucket. I did try Friday and it turned out more of an pale ale, in my opinion. The OG was 1.040 and finished at 1.005.

3 Likes

An old friend from here used Donimo sugar cubes… one per 12 oz bottle…
I very happy yer brew turned out! Next, post a picture of it in yer favorite brew drinking glass… please!
Sneezles61

1 Like

This is one of my favorite glasses. I like to have my HB in this glass. This is a brewery that I visit a lot. ONCO Fermentations in Tully NY.

2 Likes

I’d have a pint of that too! mmmm beer.
Sneezles61

It is a little darker than I wanted. I think the 2 lbs of oats and I had difficulty gettingnthe bag of dry hops out. The flavor is good, low maltiness, great hoppiness!!

I almost give Brain and Erin (ONCO) a couple of bottles to try for feed back.

1 Like

You should give them a couple bottles. Getting feed back is a great help, be it good or not. Helps you when tweaking the recipe.
Sneezles61

That is the reason.

Ive found you can never get real feedback face to face or someone you know. Ive given beer to people that I know they say that’s good I’ll taste it and say thats bad and dump it then they dump. You can know what your going for if you need to ask someone else its probably not there. Just my opinion

I tell peeps to be honest…they can’t hurt my feelings…
Of course, the ones that only drink whimpy light stuff isn’t to be considered “knowledgeable” when it comes to craft brews.
Sneezles61

Well let me ask this if someone said the beer is good but you didn’t agree what would you do? Brew it again until you liked it or stand pat? I’m just playing devil’s advocate

I would make wholesale changes, because I rarely have someone tasting my beer who could convince me a flawed beer was worth the effort to brew it again.

1 Like

Let me rephrase the question. If someone said they didn’t like it for whatever reason but you thought it was great what would you do

I work at a golf course pt. The bartender and I talked. I told him that I brew beer. He wanted to taste the beer. Gave him 3 bottles to try. I asked for honest feed back. I will hear his OPINION about it. Opinions are like beer, there are some many out there to meet everybodies tastes. people who do this for a living, have to have big shoulders criticism for , positive and negative. Again it is there opinion and it does not meet their tastes for that time.

I won’t brew to someone else’s taste… if they like it, they’ll have more… which means less for me… Not every brew I make is a winner, but I will brew the same brew again with some tweaking to get it where I’ll enjoy it…
Ha, and when someone sez “ brew me a light one” I’ll get them a glass of water!
Smells very skunky out side the window…. Holy oh pewwww!
Sneezles61

If brewing to style was my thing I’d probably search out a sanctioned brewing competition with certified judges. I don’t see many comps anymore and the ones that used to be around here were more loosely judged by people whos only credentials were they drank beer or served beer.

1 Like

Brew the beer to your taste. If you like it then that is kind of the goal. If other people like it, bonus!

I entered a brew at the county fair… I got 3rd place… there was only 2 enteries…. /:
Sneezles61

3 Likes

I agree with you. I brew what I like, anything else is extra.

1 Like