Tallgrass IPA

I tried this because I see NB is going to offer kits from this brewery…

I must say this might be the first time I pour the rest of the beer down the drain. I have been reading here about the “grassy” taste you can get from dry hopping too long…never tasted this until now. The four pack I bought…I had high hopes…tasted disgusting. It tasted like grass…like green tea…like I hate…nothing like hops…like it was filtered through my weekly grass trimmings…

I couldn’t finish it. It was my birthday and my bro-in-law said I didn’t have to finish it so I dumped it ( hard to do ). Is this how it’s supposed to taste? And if it’s not I’m worried their QC let this out the door.

I’m not much of a hophead, and can’t comment on their IPA. However, I love their Milk Stout and Belgian Tripel.

[quote=“Pachuco”]I tried this because I see NB is going to offer kits from this brewery…

I must say this might be the first time I pour the rest of the beer down the drain. I have been reading here about the “grassy” taste you can get from dry hopping too long…never tasted this until now. The four pack I bought…I had high hopes…tasted disgusting. It tasted like grass…like green tea…like I hate…nothing like hops…like it was filtered through my weekly grass trimmings…

I couldn’t finish it. It was my birthday and my bro-in-law said I didn’t have to finish it so I dumped it ( hard to do ). Is this how it’s supposed to taste? And if it’s not I’m worried their QC let this out the door.[/quote]

Their IPA doesn’t taste like what you described, def no where near green tea flavor. I can’t comment on how it tastes, because I don’t buy too much beer anymore, just drink homebrew. But I’ve had it, and enjoyed it. I’ve seen them dump full batches of velvet rooster due to QC issues. So maybe it either slipped by the QC check, or was mishandled by the distributer.

that’s a shame, because i think its an exceptional beer. in fact i haven’t had any of tallgrass beers that i didn’t think were very good. 8 years ago i couldn’t stomach an ipa and now thats about all i drink.

I get grass from IPAs that are too fresh sometimes.

[quote=“Pachuco”]I tried this because I see NB is going to offer kits from this brewery…

I couldn’t finish it. It was my birthday and my bro-in-law said I didn’t have to finish it so I dumped it ( hard to do ). Is this how it’s supposed to taste? And if it’s not I’m worried their QC let this out the door.[/quote]

Some hops will taste grassy if too much is used to dry hop.

This is what I have always read but have never experienced this myself…and I make/drink a lot of IPAs.

I tried another one yesterday to check my sanity and yes…it was grassy. Definitely not enjoyable. I’ll give it some time for the memory to fade and maybe try it again with some new stuff sometime in the future.