Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Sustainable brewing

I found this quite interesting so I thought I’d put it

got me thinking about RO filters which are terribly wastefull especially when not used within a wastewater treatment loop

It sure seems like a dog chasing its tail, doesn’t it? With glaciers melting, wouldn’t we have more water available?
The things I look at are, population of peeps first… IF I understand… aren’t we packages of 85% water wandering around?
Then, how much liquid is in packaged drinks we consume as we txt…? Well, quite irrelevant now…
I applaud the breweries doing more to be less wasteful. I’ve not thought about how much water it takes to make my brews… I may do that from now on…
Sneezles61

Spoken like someone who lives around the Great Lakes which holds 20% of the world’s surface fresh water. As the glaciers melt there will be less and less fresh water. Because they will eventually cease to exist and the flow of water will stop.

" In State of the Climate in 2019 , glacier expert Mauri Pelto reported that the pace of glacier loss has accelerated from -171 millimeters (6.7 inches) per year in the 1980s, to -460 millimeters (11 inches) per year in the 1990s, to -500 millimeters (1.6 feet) per year in the 2000s, to -889 millimeters (2.9 feet) per year for the 2000s. In many parts of the world—including the western United States, South America, China, and India—glaciers are frozen reservoirs that provide a reliable water supply each summer to hundreds of millions of people and the natural ecosystems on which they depend. Their accelerating retreat poses major challenges for people and nature."

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-glacier-mass-balance

Interesting read. Thank you.

I am fortunate that both my home and my cabin are in areas where fresh water is abundant. The area is also one of the top 25 areas for being less impacted by climate change. But for those interested in reduction of brewing impact on environment, see below.

As the article indicates, water use reduction is where we can get the biggest bang for buck. The coils that some of us use to cool the wort use a lot of water. For sustainability, the water use can be reduced by more efficient heat exchangers like the plate exchangers. Also, its better to return the water to the ground water by having it flow into the ground rather than to run to the sewage plant or into a stream or river.

Other things not mentioned in article are energy use. For those doing electric brewing, insulate your boil pot. Don’t over boil.

Don’t @ me for this, but in all honesty we are fighting climate change with two hands tied behind our back by not expanding the use of nuclear reactors for electric power generation.

Intresting read indeed. Me try my best to help to improve the enviroment. But mean while. The local goverment over here doing not so much. They gave me ticket few months ago for reciceling my septic tank water. I only use for watering the plants. And collecting. Rain water. Not allowed. Due to dengue fewer. Any way. Beer brew project. Did stop use my water. From the faucit. To cool my wort. Now use ice bags. Seems to the knife cuts both ways. Price wise i safe water. But got to buy ice

I’ve primarily tried to focus on water conservation during brewday with a consistent effort to reuse the water as much as possible. I put it into the washing machine, bathtub and of course watering plants, all things that were going to use water anyway. What water does go down the drain in the brewery goes actually out into a gravel bed and into the ground water.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com