Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Suspending a hop sack in a keg?

So I’ve heard a lot of stories about homebrewers suspending a hop sack in a keg using fishing wire. A lot say it’s tied to the dip tube? How does this work?

I’m using one of these currently: http://morebeer.com/view_product/18214/ … Welded_Tab

It works great! I have a sack suspended about mid-way through the keg and slowly pour off hoppy-as-all-hell beer while the resins slowly sink to the bottom.

Is there another way I can achieve the same result without one of these? I’ve learned that I can’t pull a hop sack out of the keg or else it will release a lot of bad nasty tasting stuff. I’d like to dry hop a second batch at the same time.

How is suspending a hop sack in a keg done without using a welded keg lid?

[quote=“alanzo”]Is there another way I can achieve the same result without one of these?[/quote]Tie one end of a long piece of unflavored dental floss to the hop bag, bring it through the lid and tie the other end to a handle, then position the lid and dab a little extra keg lube on the oring where the floss is going to cross over it (or just put a fresh coat of lube on the entire o-ring when you’re re-assembling the keg after sanitizing) and you’ve saved $25.

I just use teflon tape. And come all the way out of the keg. It doesn’t affect the seal you don’t have to tie it to anything.

I suspend using dental floss hanging out of the keg. The mintyness is awesome! JK it’s unflavored but it’s thinner than fishing line and cheaper than the welded used keg lid. I bought my kegs for the price of that thing!

Cool, thanks for the tips! I like the teflon tape idea. I thought this is how it was done, having the string or tape come out of the keg, but it didn’t make sense to me how that wouldn’t leak. A bit of keg lube or using something really thin like teflon tape makes sense.

Thanks for the fast responses!

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]It doesn’t affect the seal you don’t have to tie it to anything.[/quote]The extra lube is just insurance, but wait until the first time you open the lid before the beer is finished and forget to hold onto the loose end of the floss and you’ll find out why I tie it off. Nothing like a hopsack depth charge to stir up the yeast! :wink:

One of my favorite homebrew related quotes: “Ask me how I know.” :lol:

[quote=“alanzo”]So I’ve heard a lot of stories about homebrewers suspending a hop sack in a keg using fishing wire. A lot say it’s tied to the dip tube? How does this work?
[/quote]

i just tie the sack it self, really tightly around the top of the dip tube. it stays there 75% of the time. the other 25% it will loosen and move to the bottom which can cause problems. i use muslin bags

but if it does get clogged. usually the end of the muslin sack is still above the beer line. so i can just grab it out. but then again, I’ve got skinny arms.

havn’t made an IPA in a few months. I’ll do the teflon tape trick next time

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com