Summer Squeeze Lemon Shandy - Stuck?

I have a NB one gallon Summer Squeeze Lemon Shandy extract kit in the fermenter and it’s been start d a little over 24 hours. I rehydrated the dry yeast in 4 ounces of warm water 15 minutes before before I pitched it. I am going to give it another 24 hours to get started.

I noticed that the 5 Gallon kit calls for Safale US-05. I have some US-05, if I need to pitch some more yeast how much should I use?

From what you posted, you’re probably fine.

But just covering the bases, what kind of yeast did you pitch, how much, and what date was on it?

Bru Yeast Small Batch American Ale Dry Yeast that came with the kit. It did not have the weight. Expiration date was 2/2020.

give it another day or 2.

What makes you think it hasn’t started? Airlock activity is an unreliable way to tell.
What are you fermenting in? Buckets are notorious for leaking. In any vessel a sure sign is a krausen ring.
What was the temp at pitching? What is the temp of the beer currently? What was the OG?
I was able to find some info about Bru Yeast on NB. They are 4g packages which is quite a bit for 1gal. 1gal at a low OG, pitched warm, with an over pitch and you might have missed the fermentation.

1 Like

Isn’t that crazy they don’t explain that in the recipe? " Oh by the way, use only a quarter of the yeast at most" Under pitching doesnt change a brew as much as over pitching… Sneezles61

Active Fermentation started last night. Nice Krause this morning

OG was 1.047 (target OG of 1.045.
Pitched yeast at 71*.

Not sure why it took 36 hours to start up? First time I’ve had a brew take that long to start but probably won’t be the last.

Thanks to all for your input and responses.

1 Like