Summer family beer creations

I got awesome news from my wife allowing me to brew all the booze for our 4th of July family festivities. I would love some help figuring out some fairly inexpensive, medium turnaround summer brews I could churn out.
In a week the stuff I have fermenting now will be all in secondary or bottled and conditioning, so I will have room for 3 empty carboys to fill with stuff.
I also have nothing on hand for ingredients, but I could use my 2 yeast cakes WLP001 and WY1007.

google “centennial blond” (from beirmuncher if that is needed) - - - - everyone that likes any beer at all will enjoy it. I made it three weeks ago with us-05 yeast, i will be trying the nottigham yeast this weekend.

Not sure what styles you like but wpl001 can be in almost any style of beer. The german ale makes a great american wheat and is good summer beer. If knew what kind of beers you like could give you endless recipes for both yeast.

2 row
citra
pale ale yeast
= win
nice grapefruit lychee tastes

I personally prefer IPAs, Belgians, saisons and imperial stouts. However, I also have to appeal to the masses with most of these and if I can get 5-6 batches bottled I should be set and maybe ave a couple I like more.

[quote=“Canukian”]2 row
citra
pale ale yeast
= win
nice grapefruit lychee tastes[/quote]
That’ll work. For a special treat replace the 2 row with Maris Otter
As far as the taste of Citra? It can go either way. Meeow.

Pale ales go well with summer weather for those who like hoppy beers, and one of those should be on your list. For your relatives who usually drink light lagers, you can consider a cream ale or blond ale. Any of these can make use of the WLP001. An alt could work with the WLP007. I personally would include a Bavarian Weiss or a Belgian Wit, as both of those are perfect for summer drinking, but you’ll need to get new yeast for either. Or an American wheat beer with the WLP001 and fruit - raspberries, blueberries or cherries - take your pick.

One vote for a kolsch. Most people recommend a pretty long layering time for kolsch in general but I’ve enjoyed my versions very much even when they have been kegged only a couple weeks.

It is pretty good.

80% pilsner malt
18% wheat malt
2% acid malt to about 1.055

all centennial (or galaxy, or montueka), small bittering addition, 1-3 oz of late hops

Danstar Belle Saison for greatest ease. 3711 with a starter for less ease, but drier/better beer. WLP565/Dupont for least ease/biggest PITA, but best beer :mrgreen:

For things like this, I like to make an ‘approachable’ beer for the BMC crowd (cream ale, summer pub ale, kolsch, faux pilsner), and a little edgier of a beer for the adventurous types (such as the beer above, or an APA) who swear they are ‘hopheads’ because they like Sierra Nevada.

[quote=“Pietro”]80% pilsner malt
18% wheat malt
2% acid malt to about 1.055

all centennial (or galaxy, or montueka), small bittering addition, 1-3 oz of late hops

Danstar Belle Saison for greatest ease. 3711 with a starter for less ease, but drier/better beer. WLP565/Dupont for least ease/biggest PITA, but best beer :mrgreen:

For things like this, I like to make an ‘approachable’ beer for the BMC crowd (cream ale, summer pub ale, kolsch, faux pilsner), and a little edgier of a beer for the adventurous types (such as the beer above, or an APA) who swear they are ‘hopheads’ because they like Sierra Nevada.[/quote]

+1

I have a similar recipe which uses noble hops and a combination of sweet and bitter orange peel with a belgian yeast. Very nice summer beer with some character that is still pretty approachable.

I’m with those who favor to not make a hop bomb for mixed company. Had some friends over recently, and both the guys and the ladies liked a Patersbier recipe I tweaked into a lite session.
1.048 O.G. all pils and a two addition Sterling, finishing with WLP515 [Antwerp]. All the beer drinkers there were happy enough with it, and it didn’t seem to offend anyone. Also American Wheat could be made soon for this purpose.

I second biermunchers Centennial Blonde. Also another recipe to consider from the HBT forum is Wayne’s Bluemoon clone. Simple recipe- 60% 2row,40%wheat,10% flaked oats, about 17ibu noble hops,add coriander and sweet orange peel and use a neutral yeast like us-05. BMC drinkers love it and it is an easy drinking summer chug.

ok, I’m going to do the centennial blonde for sure, but still on the fence on what type of wit or hefe to make… and I think I will do the boat bitter dawson did for chop and brew. also does anybody have an idea for a quickly done extract porter or stout?
I hope 45 gallons of home brew is enough…

Foreign Extra Stouts were made for export to tropical markets, so one of those should be good for summer drinking, but I’ve never brewed one so don’t have a recipe to share.

see my avatar :mrgreen:

You’re in Maine and you can’t at least suggest an Allagash clone!? :cheers:

I just brewed this Blonde Ale last week. It will probably be ready to drink by early May. A bit on the weak side but I’m hoping it will be tasty

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/rec ... highlights

see my avatar :mrgreen:

You’re in Maine and you can’t at least suggest an Allagash clone!? :cheers: [/quote]
I know, I know. Believe it or not, I’m not a big fan of Allagash. Mostly because I’m not a fan of Belgian funk (yet?). The best Belgian type I’ve tried so far has been Unibroue’s La Fin du Monde which has a very muted funk. My clone of that, using yeast cultured from a bottle has turned out really nice.
Perhaps my palate will develop. I know I appreciate hoppy ales a lot more than I used to, so there’s hope. :cheers: