Suggestions please

I am trying to do something along the lines of a Guinness Foreign Extra…Here is what I have so far:

12 lbs pale ale malt
1.5 carapils
1.0 roasted barley
.25 chocolate
.40 Flaked Oats
1 oz Willamette 60 min
.5 oz cascade 30 min

Looks like way too much carapils to me.

Would you think maybe cutting back to about a half pound?

Yeah, I think that’s what I’d do.

Agree on the CaraPils and I would consider adding more dark malt to get its’ total up to at least 10 percent. Some additional percentage of flaked oats and/or barley might be in order as well. Six ounces of flaked oats in that recipe is not going to make much of an impact.

Change the hops to East Kent Goldings or you will end up with an American Stout. Willamette would probably be okay for bittering, but I find them a bit metallic sometimes. I would just do 1 addition to 50+ IBU. EKG has a nice earthy, peppery bitterness when you use it in a dark beer.

Shoot for 1.072 O.G. I would add a small amount of crystal malt instead of the carapils. I think it will make the beer richer. 10% roasted or a mix of roasted and chocolate. Make sure you get English dark grains. They are much darker than Briess roasted grains.

I have made a good variety of stouts with WY 1968 ESB, and London Ale yeast (I can’t believe I forgot the number) as well as the stout yeast.

For added complexity, ferment a pint or so separately for a few days, and then open it up to the air for a few days. You should get some funky lactic and brett flavors. Pasteurize this by heating it up to 170 for 20 min before pitching it into your bottling bucket with the primary ferment. If it smells fruity, earthy, funky use it. If it stinks, don’t use it. Don’t mix it with the primary ferment if you want to save and reuse your yeast.

Thanks!! Here are some changes I made below:

12.75 lbs pale ale malt
.50 carapils or crystal 10?
1.0 roasted barley
.50 chocolate
1.50 Flaked Oats

2 oz Willamette 60 min?

With the hops I was hoping to get away with using some I already have but if need be I will just get some more. What I already have: Willamette, Cluster, Fuggle, Cascade and Centennial…Any of these work?

Sat. I kegged 7.75 gals of a 10 gal batch into a 1/4 bbl…

18 lbs 2-row

3lbs roasted barley

1 lb 60 crystal

1 lb choc malt

1 lb rolled oats

2 oz Millenium 16.6% @ 60

Wyeast 1084

64 oz soured wort (60 min boil)

I brewed 1/2 the recipe for a 3 gal batch which I plan on kegging with the remaining 2 1/4 gals.
+1 on the soured beer. A bit of grain helps it along. I add it to the boil (10 mins), but I’ve heard good results in primary or at bottling, pasteurized of course.

Fermentables
Pale Ale Malt Grain 11.50 Lbs
Flaked Oats Adjunct 1.50 Lbs
Roasted Barley Grain 1.00 Lbs
Carapils (Dextrine) Grain 0.50 Lbs
Chocolate Grain 0.50 Lbs

HopsName
Willamette 2.00 oz Boil 60 mins

Wyeast 1335 - British Ale II