Suggestion on hefeweizen yeast

I’ve always disliked hefeweizens but I want to try to brew one that I like. Anyone have a suggestion on a yeast with the spicy clove character but minimal banana? I was thinking White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV but the reviews don’t seem to match the product description

Ferment cold at like 60 F and you’ll get plenty of clove with minimal banana.

Here’s a link to a 50-page discussion of Bavarian hefeweizens. The project is summarized in the edited first post.

I was underwhelmed by Weizens until I brewed a batch following the info in the link. It was great! Good clove, no detectable banana.

[quote=“Old_Dawg”]Here’s a link to a 50-page discussion of Bavarian hefeweizens. The project is summarized in the edited first post.

I was underwhelmed by Weizens until I brewed a batch following the info in the link. It was great! Good clove, no detectable banana.[/quote]

No link… would love to see it!

Its an invisible link is this a riddle?

Here’s that link that I’m sure the Old Dawg was talking about:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40751&hilit=weissbier+project

Stupid computer forgot to paste in the link!

Thanks for the save, Dave.

I’ve tried WLP380 with good results, but quite a bit of banana & clove i recall. Also used WY3333 & didn’t care for the flavor. My favorite is WY3068 so far. Used it twice & really like the taste/finish. As Dave said, i fermented low @ 64 both times. That stuff is a beast though, so use a blowoff tube if you choose to use it. Good luck! :cheers:

So you’d say 3068 was less banana than 380?

Yes, the 3068 had less banana in my opinion, but i fermented in the low 60’s. When i used the WLP380, i didn’t have the ferm. chamber yet & i’m certain the temps were higher. I liked the taste personally, but much more phenolics than the 3068. Can you keep the temps down? I think they’d both be good with low 60’s.

Wyeast 3056?