Stupid Mistake

I just started brewing last Oct. I have done one kit per month since then with good results.

Today I did the Australian Sparkling Ale. My problem is that after about
5 hours I went in to check to see if the fermentation had started and noticed
that I had filled the carboy up to the 6 gallon mark and not the 5 gallon
mark.

Should I let it go its course or is there something I should do since
there is an extra gallon there. If so what?

The OG came out as 1.052

You can let it ride and have a lower ABV beer.

Or you can pull out 1/2 gallon and boil it with an amount of DME to bring the OG up to where the recipe is designed.

I did an even dumber mistake. I thought I would do a full boil with the sparkling ale extract kit. Put in six gallons to compensate for the boil off. I totally forgot about the extract volume. Ended up with a little less than six gallons. Tastes fine to me. I would leave it alone.

Lesson learned, leave it alone.

It’s just fine, although it will be a little weaker and thinner than the original recipe. If ou really want to fix it, than there are a couple things to do, but I’d leave it alone.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the replies and the information.

It’s fermenting well and has a nice cap on its top.
I’ll just let it alone and let it do its own thing.
It’s going to turn into to some type of beer anyway.

Yeah, leave it alone…

You never know, the lower ABV you’re going to get might just work out well. One never knows till it’s tasted!

[quote=“panduji68”]Yeah, leave it alone…

You never know, the lower ABV you’re going to get might just work out well. One never knows till it’s tasted![/quote]
This is true, when i made the wheaten beatdown recipe i messed up the sparge and got a lower abv than the recipe planned and it was still so awesome. Gonna make it again and not make the mistake, hopefully it is every bit as good as my low gravity result.

The og for that kit says 1.055