Stuck Fermentation with Mauribrew

I recently brewed an AG Milk Stout with an OG of 1.062. The recipe says I should have a FG of 1.015. Sweet.

I live in Texas, so I’ve definitely had the obvious struggles of keeping a decent lower temperature for fermenting so I decided a while back to try the Mauribrew 514 Ale Yeast (supposedly able to handle fermentation temps of up to around 90 and boasts a quick fermentation of 3-7 days…questionable).

Long story short, my first week or so I kept the temps at around 60-62, which is low according to Mauribrew specs…checked gravity at 7 days which, I know is early, but Mauribrew says it to be true and it had only dropped to 1.038. So I raised the temp to room temperature (about 78) and let it sit for another week. I checked gravity again and it was damn near the same thing.

Question is…what’s the dealio? Is the fermentation stuck? Am I out of yeasties? Milk stout go bye bye? Thanks in advance for any and all advice yall!

recipe?

Here’s the recipe…

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Milk Stout

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Sweet Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 2.13 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.25 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.041
Efficiency: 72% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 6.1%
IBU (tinseth): 45.22
SRM (morey): 40

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (56.5%)
8 oz - American - Munich - 60L (9.4%)
7 oz - American - Black Barley (8.2%)
6 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (7.1%)
6 oz - American - Chocolate (7.1%)
6 oz - Flaked Barley (7.1%)
4 oz - Flaked Oats (4.7%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 36.41
0.5 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 8.8

MASH GUIDELINES:

1. Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4 gal

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
7 oz - Lactose, Time: 10 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Default Mauribrew 514 Ale
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med
Optimum Temp: 66 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 72 F

You can not go by the recipe calculator for a FG.

Lactose is 100% un fermentable. 10lbs in a 5 gallon batch gives a gravity of 1.080. And the calculator says the FG will be 1.020 (with out putting in a yeast type).

7oz in a 2.2g batch will add ~1.008 points.

Also, you have a very large percentage of specialty grains. Which could contribute to a higher FG.

You mash temp isn’t terribly high. As long as the thermometer is accurate and not reading low that should not contribute to much.

I would think a FG of 1.025-30 should be possible. It might just be done.

Look at the NB recipes for comparison.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documenta ... tStout.pdf http://www.northernbrewer.com/documenta ... kStout.pdf