String or wire

I have seen alot of designs and setups for hopyards. I have heard of aircraft cable for the top lines of the post supports, then using coconut string or there was something else also forgot what it was, a plastic line maybe? But why not use a small gage wire for the plant to post? Is the metal against the plant going to adversely effect it?

I use wiir to grow hops horizontally, but I think you’d have trouble growing them vertically on it because there wouldn’t be anything for the bines to grab onto.

Like Denny said, as they grow they use very small climbing hooks to attach themselves to whatever they’re growing on. Any natural fiber is suitable and is what’s suggested. The thinner stuff like sisal should probably be doubled up to withstand the weight. I’ve used bailing twine successfully but have also had some break on me over the years. The nylon/poly bale wraps also work well, not natural but they are ‘porous’ and don’t break down after being exposed to sunlight. Also, using anything metal for them to climb would tend to heat up a lot more than any non-metal support and may damage or put the vines at a little more stress as they climb.

Typically hop bines are trained on coir line, a strong natural fiber rope. I grew my first year stuff on some 3/8 sisal that I strung from nylon coated 1/4 steel cable. The sisal is relatively strong stuff and did fairly well last year but I wouldn’t trust it alone if we get a bomber growing season. I don’t think I would reuse the same line year after year either as the sun and rain degrade it significantly over a growing season. I would suggest training on a fence or some other fixed or rigid structure if you can.

I have a shielded metal horizontal line about 10’ above the ground. And run coir twine lines for the bines vertically. Something like this:

V V V V V <— Coir twine in a “v” shape.

Make sense?

The plants need something to dig their little claws into

[quote=“shredd3r”]I have a shielded metal horizontal line about 10’ above the ground. And run coir twine lines for the bines vertically. Something like this:

Make sense?

The plants need something to dig their little claws into[/quote]

What do you use at the bottom to tie the bottom of the “V” to?

I usually just find a stick in the yard and wrap that to the bottom of the line and shove it in the ground. Once they begin to climb, the weight from the vines tend to help keep things anchored.

[quote=“560sdl”][quote=“shredd3r”]I have a shielded metal horizontal line about 10’ above the ground. And run coir twine lines for the bines vertically. Something like this:

Make sense?

The plants need something to dig their little claws into[/quote]

What do you use at the bottom to tie the bottom of the “V” to?[/quote]

They are yard anchors that people use to leash a dog to.

http://www.amazon.com/Dogit-Cork-Screw- ... B001B7P83A

Hmm. I use 30lb fishing line, and they climb that well. Plus the line lasts for years.
My hops grow up the side of my house. Makes a nice ‘green curtain’.

Wow really they climb that slippery fishing line well!! And its fairly cheap for the longevity that it potentially has. I’m ordering mine from great lakes hops 30 plants chinook for 170 delivered. PLANTs developing woody roots almost year old gone through one winter already check them out great clean place.

I use aircraft cable with a turnbuckle for tension between two posts horizontally. I then run jute rope or sisal rope (either works great) up to the aircraft cable for the vines to climb on. Those little hooks that grow on the bines latch right on to the fibers in the jute or sisal and away they climb. Cheap, easy, and effective!

I have a buddy who uses large panels of chain link fence and just let’s them go crazy. He always has a nice harvest.

I love that chain link fence idea you can find tons of that stuff cheap on craigslist.