Stout Faucets

The consensus seems to be that Perlick faucets are the best. What about stout faucets? I’m not really finding any info on those.

Also: is there any benefit to using a stout faucet with CO2, or do you need to use beer gas?

Micromatic sells a nice stainless steel stout faucet. I see no reason to use one unless it is with beer gas, 60/40 or 70/30 nitro/co2. I like my 60/40.

Thanks. I ended up purchasing this all stainless faucet: http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Stainle … p_142.html

Very, very nice product. Just running CO2 right now. Also have 5 Perlicks. Will add beer gas later.

Now that I’ve been able to use mine a few times, I have to agree. I’ll be replacing it with another Perlick until I’m ready to use beer gas.

It sure does look cool though.

I haven’t had my stout faucet on for some time, but seeing as how I have an oatmeal robust porter a week into fermentation, I plan to hook it up in another 3 -5 weeks, with beer gas, once I am ready to tap one of those kegs!

I have heard of people taking out the diffusion disk until they can get some beer gas (rather than swapping out the faucet), but with the narrower spout you’ll still lose some carbonation on the pour using a stout faucet with co2.

I don’t think I’ve ever poured through the diffusion disk with co2.

[quote=“brewsumore”]
I have heard of people taking out the diffusion disk until they can get some beer gas (rather than swapping out the faucet), but with the narrower spout you’ll still lose some carbonation on the pour using a stout faucet with co2.

I don’t think I’ve ever poured through the diffusion disk with co2.[/quote]
Well, I may not have a choice. When I took mine apart to clean it, the disc fell out and I can’t find it! :evil:

Good luck finding it, or replacing it if necessary. Of course it won’t work for a nitro pour without that little piece. You’re not the first person that has happened to!

I found it! It rolled all the way across the room into a corner behind the trash can.

Just in case you can’t find it again NB carries the replacement.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/s-s- ... plate.html

I’m curious why you prefer a higher proportion of CO2 in your beer gas. Do you carb using beer gas or carb with CO2 and then server using beer gas? I’ve read that the latter is necessary, because nitro does not easily dissolve in liquid.

I really don’t think it matters much. I prefer more carbonated beers, so it would be logical that using 60/40 leaves a higher percentage of co2 in the beer. However, both the co2 and nitro get reduced significantly coming out of the faucet. I get a very nice dense one-inch head with the 60/40 with tight, small bubbles.

Per the beer styles book “Stout”, Guinness kegs its stout with a 60/40 nitro/co2 mix. I’ve never used the 70/30. I can’t remember if the industrial gas supply place where I bought my tank/gas had both mixes.

I carb with co2 to 1.5 - 2 volumes and then dispense with beer gas. Per the same book, the traditional stout co2 level is one volume.

I have a retraction and correction. I remembered incorrectly which beer gas mixture I bought. I found a written record that says:

My compressed 20 lb beer gas tank is 75/25 n2/co2 which is designed for thick beers, primarily (big) stouts and porters. The rest of (lighter) beers on beer gas should be 60/40 mix, per the guy at the compressed gas supplier where I bought my filled tank.