Stout Blow off Question

I’m fairly new to brewing, brewed 9 batches so far with great results. I just brewed a stout today and the blow off is pretty intense. I was wondering if replacing the loss beer with water would be a wise move to make? I have read that some people say it’s okay while others were clueless or the matter. I mean it’s not a huge loss but when you’re only brewing one gallon at a time every ounce counts :cheers:

If you decide to, be sure to boil the water to remove as much O2 as possible. You don’t want to add O2 to the beer unnecessarily.

Then you have to weigh if you might be adding a contaminate. And you will be watering down the beer. Changeing the ABV, malt profile and IBU’s.

I’d say don’t do it.

NB has 2 gallon pails available that make more sense to brew 1 gallon batches in. Or look to your local grocery stores or bakery’s to see if you can find one for free. Except for the cost of a grommet for the lid. If you can drill a large enough hole, you can use a rubber stopper instead.

Thanks man, really appreciate it. I just wanted more insight on the issue. Told my gf we should invest in a bigger jug/bucket. So far this stout and the Irish Red are the only ones to have a crazy blow off. The Red turned out pretty good, the recipe says to let it bottle condition for 2 weeks, I did and didn’t really care for it. Let it sit for 2 more weeks and it taste great. Thanks again for the insight

Patience pays off in this hobby. :cheers:

I’ve emailed NB telling them they are doing a disservice to new brewers that by these kits. They don’t sell 5g carboys for the primary in a 5 gallon kit. So why do the do a 1g carboy for a 1 gallon kit.

The 1st response was, “we suggest a blow off hose”. So I asked why they don’t do that with a 5g carboy/5g kit. The response was he will pass it along.

Doubt it will ever change.

Yea I find it puzzling at times. I have brewed with 5 gallons before when I lived in California. Kind of missed brewing, then again I only brewed 3 batches before I moved to the East Coast. The jugs should be bigger no doubt. I do use blow off tubes every time I brew, I’ve learned my lesson with the Irish Red. Blew the airlock right off in the middle of the night and made a huge mess haha. Since then I have modified my styrofoam cooler to hold two one gallon jugs and keep the temp down. Would a 2 gallon jug have too much head space for brewing 1 gallon kits? I don’t really have too many people to ask out here. One of the reasons why I joined the forum. If I was out West I could ask anyone, so many breweries in Northern California… a lot of people I know brew out there.

No the 1 gallon head space should not be an issue.

Some people have moved to 2.5-3 gallon batches so they can brew more, have a greater variety but have less to drink/store.

The 3g carboys would work for a 2.5g batch. Anything above that and you usually need to move to a 5g pail/carboy.

3.5g pails are available outside the HB stores.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=752

Nice, thanks for all the advice and the link. Time for bed

[quote=“Nighthawk”]If you decide to, be sure to boil the water to remove as much O2 as possible. You don’t want to add O2 to the beer unnecessarily.

Then you have to weigh if you might be adding a contaminate. And you will be watering down the beer. Changeing the ABV, malt profile and IBU’s.

I’d say don’t do it.

NB has 2 gallon pails available that make more sense to brew 1 gallon batches in. Or look to your local grocery stores or bakery’s to see if you can find one for free. Except for the cost of a grommet for the lid. If you can drill a large enough hole, you can use a rubber stopper instead.[/quote]

So I did it, I added nearly 4 cups of water to the carboy. I just bottled the beer after letting it sit for 10 days. I tasted the flat beer and it still taste fine so far hah. Had a nice bite to it. I will definitely post on this again in 2 to for 4 weeks after letting the stout bottle condition.