Storing full kegs

I know this has been answered before I can t recall what I read. I have a backup of beer in fermenters right now so I plan on ordering some more kegs. I don’t have room yet to keep them all cold. What is the procedure to store them full at room temp ?

I’m thinking as long as they are fermented out they’ll be ok. I’d consider purging them with C02 and put them in the coolest place you can find.

Exactly right. Some beers keep better than others for long periods, pretty much identical to if they had been bottled. And the cooler you are able to keep them, the less impact from aging.

Bottled beer would be carbonated though, would that make a difference?

[quote=“Brew Cat”]Bottled beer would be carbonated though, would that make a difference?[/quote]You can store them flat or carbonated; it really doesn’t matter. Just purge the head space and put them in a cool area where the temp does not fluctuate too much. I keep 6 kegs in my kegerator, 6 in my keezer and the other 9 in the cellar.

+1. I actually prefer to keep my hoppy beers cold, as it keeps the hoppy goodness from from going to seed too soon. Anything else, I never hesitate to age on the floor, carbonated or uncarbonated, after purging the keg.

Do you think it would be a good idea to forgo dry hopping until I’m ready to chill and carbonate an IPA style beer?

[quote=“Brew Cat”]Do you think it would be a good idea to forgo dry hopping until I’m ready to chill and carbonate an IPA style beer?[/quote]Yes probably.

[quote=“Brew Cat”]Do you think it would be a good idea to forgo dry hopping until I’m ready to chill and carbonate an IPA style beer?[/quote]Dryhop, then chill and carbonate (with a fresh charge of keg hops), is my preference - it takes a lot longer to extract hop character at serving temp.

What all others have said and that it’s inside/at room temp or cooler.

I made the lazy mistake of keeping 2 post primary kegged beers in my garage for 4 days back in May.

The unpredictable Texas temps swung up to 90F for those 4 days and the 2 kegs that I had thought had reached FG, apparently dropped more with the heat. Even when chilled, both kegs were all foamy and noticably off flavored.