Stirring more often

So far as I can tell, it’s more beneficial to your brew to stir more often than hit the exact target temp.
I’ve mostly shot for 65 and 42 degrees, which is a small chunk cooler than the seemingly preferred average temp amongst this forum (70 and 50 respectively). I brew in the winter and fall, so these are usually the ambient temps in my house around then (cheap bastard, I know), after which I stuff the whole process into my fridge.
If I understand correctly (bear with me, science is not my strong suit), this lower temp (70 or 65) inhibits the lactic acid buildup whilst simultaneously allowing the yeast to propagate.
I have seen the suggestion (in Bobs guide) of starting even lower (50) then bouncing up to 70, then back down to 50 again, to give the yeast a jump start on the lacto, and then retard the lacto again. I have no great way of hitting 50 degrees, and I’m mostly too cheap to do something about it, so I’ve opted for the slightly lower temp through the shubo, and then a much lower temp during the buildup and thereafter.
Ultimately, I liked the flavors I got out of my temperatures (half the battle), but I did feel like the alcohol content seemed rather low; around 12%.

So… here’s my question:

If i stir more often during the shubo, will the added oxygen help create more yeast, which in turn will produce more alcohol, or am I thinking about this wrong? The other thought was to add more starch content for the yeast to eat (perhaps even a rice syrup), and hit it that way.

Again, assume that the temperatures would remain constant from my last run: 65 degrees from the start until the first addition, and roughly 42 degrees thereafter.

If I’m on the right track (which I suspect I’m not), I may try and build a constant stir device, with a slow motor and this old ice cream crank I have sitting around…

Some sake breweries don’t believe in stirring to much. But also I have seen a couple videos online where some breweries stir with wooden paddles vigorously everyday. And still I don’t think even they would of had it stirring constantly. I think I remember that those breweries that dont stir to much like to not mash up the moromi. And as far as your temp is concerned I just checked back at this other website (I,ll post below) they had their temp at 5c which I believe is 41f , yeah argue that’s just the room temp it said. But I’m sure the moromi is close to that because they mention the benefits of just the strongest yeast surviving in the sake. Ie… less competition.
About your low alc content it would take longer for the yeast even the strong ones to work at that temp, probably with better flavors though, but don’t forget you should also add in more koji steamed rice and water at small intervals at that low temp, the yeast will thank you for it!

http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia4 ... ure04.html

Another good source of info is here http://www.sakebrew.com/sake-articles/s … ing-report . Mr nillson did good at researching how stirring helps and also that the koji breaks up and provides oxygen (similar) molecules for the yeast and provides the yeast with minerals and compounds that normally would be added by “yeast nutrients”.