Stir Plate Question

I always use a yeast starter for beers 7% and over. I’ve heard of quite a few people that use a stir plate when making yeast starters.

My Question: What is the purpose of a stir plate? Obviously it keeps the starter mixing, but what is the purpose of that?

Continuously aerate the wort and keeps the yeast in suspension. You’ll grow more yeast.

I’m certainly no expert but I’m pretty sure the movement promotes greater cell count. If you don’t use a stir plate they say you should make a bigger starter. I go the bigger starter route because I don’t want to make the yeast dizzy. :lol:

:cheers:

+1. Check out Mr.Malty. Plug in an OG and see the difference in how much yeast you need to start with to make an appropriate starter. Check out the difference between stirplate, intermittent shaking, continuous aeration & simple starter. Using a stir plate keeps the yeast in suspension constantly which keeps it growing.

Yeast will function on cellular respiration for as long as oxygen is present, which means they get much more energy per unit of glucose they digest. This results in lots of cell growth and reproduction.

Once the oxygen is gone, yeast stop reproducing and kick into fermentation, reaping less energy from the sugars.

So by using a stir plate, you’re driving off the CO2 and constantly introducing oxygen, shooting for maximum population growth in your starter.

Also yeast born in a violent environment (such as a stir plate) grow into very healthy sturdy yeast. Think of it as yeast on steroids. That way when piched into a high gravity brew they are ready to consume. Which will result in a fully fermented brew. you dont want weak yeast dying out half way through the fermentation process.