Steeping Pecans

I’m trying to give a pecan flavor to my Nut Brown Ale extract kit with the changes to the yeast, the addition of some Briess Carapils and steeped roasted pecans. The Carpils is for head retention due to nut oils reducing the head. The Williamette hops are for aroma.

Question is: Will this work?

Below is some information about the recipe.

Style: Southern English Brown Ale
Type: Extract
Rating: 3.5
Calories: 154
Efficiency: 70 %
Color: 17.6 SRM
Preboil OG: 1.044
OG: 1.047
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.59 %
IBU’s: 26.39
Boil Size: 5.57 Gal
Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps:
Name Days / Temp
Primary 14 days @ 66.0°F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 70.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts:
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
0.25 lbs 3.45 % Simpsons Chocolate 60 mins 1.034
0.25 lbs 3.45 % Dingemans Special B 60 mins 1.030
0.25 lbs 3.45 % Dingemans Biscuit 60 mins 1.032
0.25 lbs 3.45 % Special Roast 60 mins 1.033
0.25 lbs 3.45 % Briess Carapils 60 mins 1.034
6.00 lbs 82.76 % NB Gold Malt Syrup 60 mins 1.036

Additions:
12oz Roasted Pecans - Roast pecans for 15 minutes at 350F and put in paper bag to remove oil. Steep roasted pecans with specialty grains for 20 min or until water reached 170 degrees.

Hops:
Amount IBU’s Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 16.43 Fuggles 60 mins 4.50
1.00 ozs 9.97 Williamette 15 mins 5.50

Yeasts:
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg London ESB Ale Wyeast Labs 1968

Carbonation:
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
3.41 oz Corn Sugar - Bottle Carbonation 70.0°F 2.10

My first beer was the 1 gal Brooklyn beer shop chestnut brown ale. I just looked at the instructions again and they have you boil the chestnuts with the bittering hops.

I got nothing from the chestnuts in my brew. Granted it was my first beer and it had some problems, so this might not be the most useful post.

Seems like I have read somewhere that some people advise making a nut liquor (steeping them in vodka) and adding at bottling time.

Good luck. Someone with more experience will likely have better advice.

In reality, I think the pecan is a fruit, if that makes any difference in the way you treat it.

I could be wrong…I was once before… :wink:

I haven’t tried it, but a couple neighbors have had success with nuts.

Here’s an article from BYO:

http://byo.com/stories/beer-styles/item ... -gone-nuts

Good luck. You’ll probably make a memorable beer!

I Just bottled my pecan brown ale last week. I used 8 oz of roasted pecans in a hop bag. I added the pecans for the last 5 minutes of the boil. After I roasted them @350 for 15 min I chopped them up coarsely. My sample from the bottling bucket was really good and the pecan flavor was noticeable.

[quote=“Stealthcruiser”]In reality, I think the pecan is a fruit, if that makes any difference in the way you treat it.

I could be wrong…I was once before… :wink: [/quote]
I think like most nuts people think of, they are the seeds of a fruit. Actually called a drupe. Although I’m not sure how that would affect the treatment of them. Someone did already call for the vodka soak, which would be similar to how a lot of people do fruit.

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]I haven’t tried it, but a couple neighbors have had success with nuts.

Here’s an article from BYO:

http://byo.com/stories/beer-styles/item ... -gone-nuts

Good luck. You’ll probably make a memorable beer![/quote]

I hope you mean like a good beer and not like a memorable bad beer. :cheers:

I went with the recipe last night. Everything looks good right now… I got a OG of 1.050 which was kind of a pleasant surprise. There was a very thin layer of oil from the pecans, which doesn’t seam to be affecting the yeast/fermentation. As of this morning anyway. :cheers:

I meant good in terms of memorable. You might try skimming the oil off the krausen. Too much oil diminishes head retention - just a thought.