Steeping Length

Hi All,

I am looking to brew this recipe:

http://www.brewawesome.com/Beer/Beer%20Recipes/Belgian%20-%20French/Tripel/50

The recipe calls for the steep to be in 3 gallons of water but that seems like a lot of water for the steep?!? Thoughts?

It will be fine. Seems like a lot of Carapils though. I would cut back and use only about 1/2 pound, or 3/4 pound at the very most.

Dang… 9 lbs extract is also too much. My gut is telling me to cut that back to like 7 lbs. Unless you want a friggin 10.5% alcohol tripel – that’s very strong.

Thanks for the help dmtaylo2!

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]It will be fine. Seems like a lot of Carapils though. I would cut back and use only about 1/2 pound, or 3/4 pound at the very most.

Dang… 9 lbs extract is also too much. My gut is telling me to cut that back to like 7 lbs. Unless you want a friggin 10.5% alcohol tripel – that’s very strong.[/quote]

So I put the recipe into Beer Smith, who says as written it’s a 1.073 OG, which matches close enough to the author’s claim of 1.075. As written, Beersmith is predicting a 7.7 ABV. It’s actually at the low-end of and 18C Trippel.
Cutting the carapils to .5lb doesn’t make much difference to the numbers in Beersmith though, and I would tend to agree that a full pound seems like too much.

Oh yeah! JMcK is right! For some reason I was thinking the extract was DME, but now I see it is LME. This makes a huge difference. If you were using DME, then you would need around 7-7.5 lb. But with LME, yeah, 9 lb is fine.