Steam Beer Fermentation Temp

I’m planning a steam beer brewing session for the weekend and LHBS is out of 2112 and WLP810 yeast that I was hoping to use. He recommended Brewferm Lager yeast be used instead. My fear is that since I dont have the means to effectivley contol the fermentation temp, that I may get some off flavors with brewferm at a fermentation temp of 68F. Anyone have any advice or experience with Brewferm lager yeast at temps outside the max range?

You could always order some online and push back the brew date. Sounds like less risk than doing something that your unsure about.

What’s your recipe? Perhaps a nuetral ale yeast would work.

8# 2 Row Pale
1.5# Crystal 60
1oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
.5oz " ". " (15 min)
.5oz ". " (5 min)
1oz ". " (0 min)
Brewferm Lager (in lieu of 2112 & WPL810)

[quote=“rgrosholz”]8# 2 Row Pale
1.5# Crystal 60
1oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
.5oz " ". " (15 min)
.5oz ". " (5 min)
1oz ". " (0 min)
Brewferm Lager (in lieu of 2112 & WPL810)[/quote]

WLP008 would make a pretty good beer out of this recipe.

Thanks,that could be an option. I’ll see what my LHBS has in stock.

I decided on Brewferm dry lager yeast. It’s currently fermenting at 58 deg in a swamp cooler.

FWIW…It is rumored that the Wyeast Bohemian Lager strain will produce clean, lager-like fermentations at temps as high as 68F with pretty much no lagering…

Could be worth a try.

I had very bad luck with Saflager 34/70 at higher temps, my Maibock that I brewed in February was fermenting in the high 50s, and lagering in the 50s and 60s through March and April, and when I tasted it in May it had very nasty apple juice flavor. I dumped it, and have been since looking for an extra refrigerator…
From what I understand, that’s the same strain as Wyeast 2124.