Statistical Analysis of Award Winning Recipes

I’ve started a youtube channel where I analyze award winning beer recipes to help keep you in the “style swimlane” when you’re developing all grain recipes. If you have some time, check it out!

2 Likes

That was interesting…
So, because of my journey I have to ask… No word about Ca Carbonate, but using RO water… Can you elaborate?
My take, and only mine… so far… Alkalinity gives a “lighter” brew an unwanted background flavor/taste…
Sneezles61

They sell alkaline boosted bottled water here. So that’s a thing that some people seek out.

I suspect the mouthfeel…
I apologize for beating down this mineral… I don’t worry as much with bigger grain bills…
Sneezles61

While I enjoyed your video and the concept, it does remind me of art being made from statistically studies of people’s preferences where you end up with only blue paintings that have George Washington in them.

Good question. Carbonate wasn’t reported in any of the examples I received. I usually report it.

I see it quite differently. Some recipes there’s huge variability, others there’s practically none. Compare hefeweizen to Wee Heavy. The goal here is to help someone who’s planning to put special B in their Helles recipe, wanting to brew a helles.

I brew within the swimlanes and “Creative brewing” about 50/50. Theres alot of fun with toying with new ideas, and sometimes they turn out awesome, sometimes crap. Creativity spawns new styles which we should encourage. But if you’re trying to nail down the perfect German Pils, I hope these videos are helpful.

Completely understand and props for your methodology. I like it. Yet every, literally every, great stride forward in the arts has been a reaction to convention. We exist in a unique time. Personally I seek out the outliers from the extremely Eurocentric style guides. Please keep posting more of your videos as I will watch them all but keep in mind that the judges creating the ruler are pretty homogeneous.

2 Likes

Latest video is up! Enjoy

2 Likes

Fermenting temps… Are those as a Tilt reports or the temp in the freez-mentor?
Sneezles61

those are just what they reported in their recipes. People don’t usually report the method of temp measurement during fermentation in their recipes.

1 Like

This is a great resource! And I beg to differ that this sort of thing suppresses creativity. Quite to the contrary, when I design my own recipe for a given style, especially if it is not a style I am familiar with, I want to make sure I am at a reasonable starting point. And this type of resource is perfect for that. Then, once I have the blueprint, I can tinker and make it my own… creatively :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The irony being that the NEIPA style guide is defining an ale that didn’t play by the original rules is a currently “provisional addition” by the lone governing body of style. Festbier also didn’t fit in any style at the time and was created as marketing decision. :relaxed:
Don’t get me wrong I am enjoying these.
BJCP must open up to more styles and seek more global selections to stay relevant IMO.

2 Likes

Kolsch analysis is done!

Kolsch!

Nice videos. As far as using it to design a beer I personally wouldn’t. I’ll read the BJCP guidelines and taste a few beers of the style. Then I’ll dance around the edges making a beer to my personal tastes. If one where trying to stay in the lane this is a good resource.

Didn’t I read on MJ’s “The Beer Hunter”, this style is the Ale side to Pils? I didn’t watch the vid yet…
Sneezles61

Latest video is out!

1 Like

Interesting very few decoction recipes. But making a beer within the average looks like a pretty average product. But i guess that is the point when brewing to style.

1 Like

The average that wins competitions may not be an average beer but hits all the marks for the style. This recipe has won 7 medals for example.

1 Like

So they hit the marks. If that is all that needs to be done seems to me that would make for some homogeneous beers.