Starting all over again

OK, so I’m starting a 3 gallon batch of green apple cider in my 6 gallon fermentation bucket. I’ve cut up about 3 pounds of apples, added my sugar, added my water. But, too late, I realized I’m out of brewing yeast. I could attempt to do it with the natural yeast on the apples (these literally came straight off the tree and got a quick rinse before being cut up), but I don’t know if that’s going to be enough. Should I just try to find a brick and mortar spot that can sell me yeast so I don’t have to wait too long? Can I use baker’s instant yeast Do I need to add more water to my bucket to avoid making vinegar? Help!

I’m not much of a cider maker, but I’d start by checking your local shop to see if they have brewer’s yeast or wine yeast.

If SOL, I’d maybe risk wild fermentation vs. using baker’s yeast.

1 Like

People have been making cider for thousands of years with natural yeast. Ive done it I have friends who that’s all they use.

1 Like

I should mention it will ferment very dry. I use some English yeast to try to get it to finish a little less dry. Depends on what you want

1 Like

I would do my best to mash them apples… One big pulpy pail full… Check gravity or just pitch and see how it is in a couple weeks…
Sneezles61

Oh, I used my blender to puree them. my ferment bucket is only half full, but I’m guessing I don’t have to worry about it right now.

The shops are either too far away or closed, so I ordered Red Star Premiere Cuvee yeast. It should be here by tomorrow, so hopefully my cider won’t be borked by then. I just started it yesterday, so…

If your not adding Camden or pasteurizing the juice you’re going to get a wild yeast in there anyway

Crap. I forgot the Camden! runs to my brew supplies

It’s OK to let the wild yeast have a head start of a few days. IMO that is desirable. There are several killer strains of commercial yeast out there that will out compete and actually kill the native yeasts. If you are worried about the natural yeast then purchase one of the K strains next time.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Saccharomyces#Killer_Wine_Yeast

https://www.math.fsu.edu/~gmizell/mead/Lallemand%20Yeast%20Quick%20Reference.pdf

1 Like