Starter temperature

Yeast have quite specific temperature range reccomendations. Do they apply to the starter as well? I haven’t done many starters since I tried it early on in my brewing and didn’t see any improvement, but I recently had an issue with a finicky saison yeast that I think would have been resolved with a higher pitching rate. Sooooo, what gives on starter temperature? Do I have to hold the starter in the fermentation range for the yeast strain? This would be a pain as I live in Florida (house temp about 79) so most ferments require a second fridge…

79F will work just fine. Higher temps work better for propagation. Don’t exceed 90.
Make sure you discard the wort prior to pitching. It will add off flavors.

[quote=“MRCCEO”]79F will work just fine. Higher temps work better for propagation. Don’t exceed 90.
Make sure you discard the wort prior to pitching. It will add off flavors.[/quote]

+1. Yeast like warmer temps. And remember you’re just growing yeast and not making beer. Just be sure to cool and decant. Don’t pitch that funky wort!

Thanks guys, so the temperature ranges provided are more for proper flavor, not necessarily for where fermentation will occur correct?

Yup, yeast love warm! A larger will ferment at ale temps, but you wouldn’t want to drink it. I actually make my larger starters (and all my starters) at room temp. Again, just make sure you dump the spent wort.