Star san

I know they say starsan is a no rinse solution but i get worried about all the bubbles left in the keg or carboy having a impact affect on the taste. Ive gotten some in my mouth by accident and its not pleasant . Is it ok to leave these bubbles ? is it ok to rinse ? .

Don’t fear the foam! If you rinse it off, you’re pretty much negating the sanitizer. And relying on your rinse water being totally sterile. Unless you’re leaving a couple inches worth of star san in your keg/bucket/carboy (even then, I don’t think you’d be able to notice anything), you won’t have any adverse effects.

Do not rinse just rack your beer in on the foam and be merry!

Its been a while since we’ve had a good “don’t fear the foam” thread. :lol:

Seriously, the foam is your friend. Don’t let it bother you. Not only do I not fear the foam, but I deliberately shake the crap out of my fermenters and kegs when sanitizing them, leaving as much foam behind as possible. When you rack, your beer will push the majority of that foam right out. I like to think that the layer of foam is protecting my beer from any nasties floating in the air while I’m racking, which is why the deliberate shaking. At any rate, most of the foam gets pushed out, and whatever is left behind does not impact flavor. It really is a no-rinse sanitizer, and rinsing will do more harm than good.

:cheers:

That’s exactly what they want you to believe! :twisted:

(The data sheet says so.)

Don’t fear the the foam. Mixed properly, that is 1oz. per 5gal. water, there will be no off flavors. If you have issues with splashing then its better to get some in the mouth then in your eyes. Remember DFTF!! Cheers.

Starsan works because it’s acidic and that’s why it tastes bad. The concentration is so low when you fill the bottle that the acidity is swamped and won’t affect the taste. Fill one of those foamy bottles with water and taste it - I’ll bet it will just taste like water.

I guessing the “they” is the manufacture and the government agency that certifies the results. All of whom are people trained in science.

So you are asking a bunch of internet message board posters if it’s ok to rinse/don’t rinse?
:roll:

I guessing the “THEY” is the manufacture and the government agency that certifies the results. All of whom are people trained in SCIENCE.

So you are asking a bunch of internet message board posters if it’s ok to rinse/don’t rinse?
:roll: [/quote]

THEY - China, SCIENCE - Witchcraft. :shock:

No im asking a bunch of expert homebrewers and trying not to rely on a bunch of scientist and government officals who probably have no clue what the hell homebrew means. Besides if i want the truth about something a scientist and a government personal would be my last choice. But as for as the rest of the feedback thanks alot guys.

The reason we have no-rinse sanitizers is that they have long been an industry standard and long proven. If you rinsed with water you have a danger of contaminating your sanitized surfaces. If you rinse with vodka it gets expensive :slight_smile:

Think of no-rinse sanitizers as a final rinse… A rinse that sanitizes by the way :slight_smile:

When you have Star-San foam on the surface it is your way to know the surface is still protected. The percentage of chemical in a reasonable amount of foam is irrelevant. We have so many other things that are important to worry about. If you are careful and don’t froth it up like a madman then most of it drains out anyway.

don’t fear the foam, its your friend. i will admit that when i first started brewing, i wasn’t sure at first, but all the reviews said don’t fear it, i didn’t ether. it acts like an airlock when your bringing your wort into the what you use to ferment keeps all the nasties in the air that want to get into your beer away until you can get that air lock on.

BTF Iodophor No Rinse Sanitizer.

Look it up.

You are asking a bunch of expert brewers? Thanks for my morning laugh!!!

Iodophor? That iodine stuff that they rub on you before surgery? They also use it in dairy barns. Ya, I trust that stuff about as much as I trust StarSan.

:lol:

One nice thing teat dip has over Star San is that it comes in 5 gallon buckets.

I’ve used Iodophor, Star San, and SaniClean for years with no problems. SaniClean mostly in kegs & lines, the other 2 on everything else. I put the foam on my cereal. I FEAR NOTHING!!!