Star san and tap water off flavor

Anyone have problems with star san and tap water causing off flavors?..I always use distilled water to dilute star san but not with tap water…Does chlorine or cloramine react with star san? can you treat tap water with campden before adding star san?

So im quessing since nobody replied that there is nothing to worry about when diluting star san with tap water

I always use tap water with star san i’ve never had a problem.

Cool thank you

Same here. I use bottled water to brew with, but when it comes to mixing the star san I use tap water. I will note my tap water actually tastes pretty clear and clean, I might even be able to brew with it, but I just use bottled due to force of habit.

still, again no issues for me either to answer your question

I’ve never heard of starsan causing off flavors.

if you’re using it right, the amount of starsan that gets into your batch should be too small to impart any flavor.

have you been experiencing off flavors, if so, can you describe any of them?

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]I’ve never heard of starsan causing off flavors.

if you’re using it right, the amount of starsan that gets into your batch should be too small to impart any flavor.

have you been experiencing off flavors, if so, can you describe any of them?[/quote]

No not the star san causing the off flavor but the tap water causing the off flavor

[quote=“mattbrew83”]
No not the star san causing the off flavor but the tap water causing the off flavor[/quote]

still, if you’re using it right. the amount of tap water getting into your batch, should be too small to cause off flavors. (with the starsan)

If you’re brewing with water that has high amounts of chorine or chloramine (without treating it), then yes it can cause off flavors - regardless of the sanitizer you use

edit: I wouldn’t worry about it. are you experiencing off flavors? if so, can you describe them? they’re most likely coming from another source

Your inital post was at 7:47pm. 2nd post at 8:27pm. Roughly 40 minutes from. You realize this board is not monitored/answered by employees of NB. Sometimes we have a life to lead outside of this board.

:roll:

Your inital post was at 7:47pm. 2nd post at 8:27pm. Roughly 40 minutes from. You realize this board is not monitored/answered by employees of NB. Sometimes we have a life to lead outside of this board.

:roll: [/quote]

Yeah i know nighthawk…excuse me for that…i can get a tad neurotic.

For sure, tap water can create off flavors in beer. The number one cause from a municipal water supply is chlorine/chloramine being left in the brewing water. That creates chlorophenols. But other causes are iron, manganese (causing metallic flavors) and geosmin or methylisoborneal (that cause earthy or pond-scum flavors). Any of those substances could be in your tap water at a level that can lead to off flavors.

StarSan is largely composed of phosphoric acid and it should not affect beer flavor unless you left a large amount in your equipment. A film of StarSan is NOT going to affect flavor…and that applies whether the makeup water was distilled or tap water.

if you tap water is really messed up the amount of star san supposed to be used may not bring it to a low enough ph to be working properly.

as for off flavor no it should not be

I always dilute star san with tap water. My tap water is fairly soft, but it does contain lots of chlorine, and I’ve never had any troubles. Its a well known thing that BREWING with chlorinated water is bad, but the amount that gets into the end product by way of starsan is too minuscule to matter.

If your water is hard, and your star san mix gets cloudy immediately after making it, its probably worth your while to measure the ph and make sure its under 3. Cloudy star san doesn’t always mean its no good, but it does mean its reacting with the minerals in your water. If the pH is over 3 you may need to add more than the recommended amount of concentrate.

Thanks everyone…you were right it did not have an effect