Staple Hops

I have some gift cards to use up from Christmas and I was wanting to but some hops by the pound.
I enjoy American Pales and English Pales.

I was thinking:
Centennial
Chinook
E.K. Golding
Fuggles

What are your staple hops that you always try to have on hand?

my staples are amarillo and simcoe. I like my IPAs…and those hops tend to run out first…so I stock up on them.

Anything that begins with a C. Also Magnum as it is a high alpha acid bittering hop which makes a little go a long way and it does not affect the taste of your beer. Also Saaz and a Hallertau

+1! Anything C (cascade, calypso, centennial, etc) Magnumn and Saaz. I have others, but they’re my go to hops for most beers I brew.

I think the hops you listed will work well for the styles you brew.

I agree with Beerginer… those look good for the styles you plan to make.

I’ll admit it’s likely overkill for most people, but what I do is make up a brewing schedule for the following year around Thanksgiving. Sure, I’ll occasionally brew some extra session beers in between, but in general I know I’ll brew something each month. Then, I add all of those beers into Beersmith’s brew log and shopping cart… it then tells me how much of everything I will need. I use those to make my bulk hop purchases in Dec/Jan.

I also like to grab a pound of Magnum because I like it’s bittering qualities, and it gives me the flexibility to stretch some of the hops I have on hand when needed.

Magnum is incredibly useful. It adds a bitterness that is incredibly neutral.

Don’t know if they still have any, but this years Magnum from FreshHops is at 20.5% AA - pretty hard to argue with as an efficient bittering hop! I picked up a # and am about to do an all Mag amber ale.

“I’ll admit it’s likely overkill for most people, but what I do is make up a brewing schedule for the following year around Thanksgiving. Sure, I’ll occasionally brew some extra session beers in between, but in general I know I’ll brew something each month. Then, I add all of those beers into Beersmith’s brew log and shopping cart… it then tells me how much of everything I will need. I use those to make my bulk hop purchases in Dec/Jan.”

I do this too. Its nice because I can plan it to have a big warming beer for winter months, summer lagers, so on and so forth.

If you brew Belgian and British styles, Styrian Goldings in a great hop. Obviously, it’s widely used in Belgian beers. Timothy Taylor Landlord uses it as a primary flavor and dry hop.

Fuggles has a distinctly “earthy” flavor to me; it tastes like what I imagine dirt would taste like, but not in a bad way really…

i got a lb of magnum for the first time this year. definately earned its way to a staple hop. the hops i use most include chinook, citra, centennial, and goldings. i wish i had gotten more amarillo and simcoe