Spraying Sanitizer

This may seem like a silly question but on Friday, I’m going to be bottling my first 5 gallon on Friday and instead of filling up my whole bottling bucket full of sanitizing solution, can I just spray the inside of the bucket with starsan? Save from wasting 6 gallons of solution.

Yes…i used to spray the whole inside of the bucket…let it sit…spray again…dump it…cover with tin foil.

1 Like

I pour about 3 cups of Star San solution in the bucket, put lid on, and swirl/shake to coat the inside. Pour the solution back into the one gallon container I store the solution in using a funnel. Invert the bucket on the loosened lid to let the excess foam drain while sanitizing bottles or doing some other stuff before racking.

I think it takes less time than spraying. I do have the lid vent covered with duct tape while shaking.

2 Likes

I really like that idea! I know we aren’t supposed to “fear the foam” but I still kinda do. I knew there had to be a better way than filling up the entire bucket.

I have a 5 gallon bucket with star san in it… When needed, I will pour into a keg, carboy, yeast starter jug, and return back out into the said 5 gallon bucket… I can always use it somewhere else in my brewing adventures… I won’t throw it out… BUT you do collect some gunk, so pour carefully and leave it behind… Throw that down the drain… When needed, mix up a gallon of star san and add to one said 5 gallon bucket… This has served me well for many years… Sneezles61
Oh, and yes I have a spray bottle for when I’m taking a sample or hooking/switching posts on the keg…

1 Like