Some more brewing questions

So I have a 120 minute IPA fermenting away right now and I’m looking forward to my next brews…

I’ve been leaning towards trying my hand at a partial mash Red Ale next, but I’m not sure what to do as far as yeast. My somewhat-local LHBS was out of Irish Ale yeast when I was down there the other day picking up some grain and I’m not sure that I’ll get down there again before I brew next. The LHBS that is 15 minutes away from me doesn’t stock liquid yeast, only a few packets of dry. As far as what I have on hand, I have a pint of Wyeast 1056 slurry (I have to say that I’m not all that happy with it though), a smack-pack of Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity that will have to be used for something soon, a vial of White Labs 320, and a packet of Danstar Nottingham. Would I be absolutely off my rocker for considering using the 3787 in a red?

OG: 1.059
IBU: 24.71
5.5 gallon ferment, 3.5 gallon boil, BIAB partial mash

3.5# 6-row
3# Maris Otter
1# Caramel 60
.25# Caramel 80
.25# Caramel 90
.5# Special B
.5# Flaked Maize
.5# Flaked Wheat

1# DME Amber
1# Dextrose

.5 oz Warrior @ 50
.5 oz UK Fuggles @10

After that I am planning an American Wheat partial mash with fresh blackberries in the secondary, which is what I got the 320 for. I think I have a recipe worked out for that too after doing some research.

OG: 1.054
IBU: 20.15
5.5 gallon batch, 3.5 gallon boil, BIAB partial mash

4.5# Red Wheat
.75# German Munich
3.5# German Pilsner
.5# Flaked Wheat
.25# 6-row

.75# DME (light or amber) late add

.6 oz Northern Brewer @ 60
1 oz German Tettenang @ 20

Anybody care to poke holes in it? :lol:

After that I’m not sure what I’m going to brew… I have an all-grain BIAB Trappist style to brew as well at some point along with the NB Rebel Rye Porter kit. And I have about 6# of 6-row and 2# of Maris Otter plus some various specialty grains left. Right now about the maximum amount of grain I can use for BIAB/partial mash is around 9# until I get some bigger equipment.

Assuming you want it to actually taste like an Irish red, yes, you would be off your rocker to use the Belgian yeast. If it was me, I’d go for the 1056. Clean, neutral, it will let the ingredients shine through.

I’m not sure why you’re using 6 row instead of 2 row. If you have the choice, switch to 2 row. Your wheat beer has just barely enough enzymes to convert all that wheat unless you’re using malted wheat and didn’t indicate that.

Yea, I figured it would trash the taste of an Irish Red but wasn’t sure if it would make for a worthy experiment or not. I haven’t liked how the 1056 performed, it’s hard to stir in a yeast cake because it seems to just clump and I’ve been having issues with it not carbing the bottles. Never had that issue with S-04.

I’m using 6-row simply because I ended up with 10 lbs of it in milled form, so I subbed it in place of 2-row and ran with it rather than buy more 2-row and leave the 6-row sit. I could always add another quarter pound or so of something to the wheat beer if that will help. IIRC, I’m using Rahr Red Wheat.

But is it wheat malt or unmalted wheat? That kinda makes a difference.

I’m surprised by your issues with 1056. I use it a lot, as do many others, and find it to be clean and reliable. I’m not sure what you mean by “it’s hard to stir in a yeast cake”, though.

[quote=“Denny”]But is it wheat malt or unmalted wheat? That kinda makes a difference.

I’m surprised by your issues with 1056. I use it a lot, as do many others, and find it to be clean and reliable. I’m not sure what you mean by “it’s hard to stir in a yeast cake”, though.[/quote]

Just looked at the bag, my mistake, it’s Briess Red Wheat Malt, so I’m guessing that means it is malted wheat.

I did find the 1056 to be clean fermenting. But so far I’ve had four or five bottles out of a half batch I brewed that despite over a month in the bottle now, there has been absolutely zero carbonation. When I’ve pitched a new batch on a yeast cake or slurry from 1056 and stirred things around, the yeast doesn’t really mix in for the most part, it just seems to want to stay in little soft clumps like which rapidly settle to the bottom as soon as I stop stirring. It still seems to ferment ok though. Just seems kind of strange. FWIW, I’ve been fermenting it around 64-66 degrees which should be roughly the middle of it’s range from what I’ve seen.

I’ve been thinking of trying 1332, 1084 or 1450 in Wyeast and WLP-004 or WLP-008 in White Labs and see how I like those.

Cool. Malted wheat means you won’t have any conversion issues. BTW, I’m pretty fond of WY1450!

I wouldn’t know why! :cheers: