Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Soda machine for beer?

So, I know a guy who wants $250 for 4 soda kegs and a soda fountain. soda fountain has 5 taps on it. Since i have just started brewing(2 extract kits) and my buddy is still waiting on his to come in the mail, i obviously have no experience in this sort of thing but i anticipate kegging in the future :slight_smile: I know what NB sells their kegs for, but i dont know if the soda machine is a good idea for beer(easy to clean, control carbonation,etc.) Any advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Here are the pics if i did it right

The kegs will work great as long as they hold pressure.

The soda machine however will be useless in the homebrewing world I think. AFAIK that machine combines uncarbonated syrup with cold carbonated water to make soda at the tap.

Hmmmmm. I figured there was something wrong with it. What a let down. he wants 250 for the kegs and was going to throw in the soda machine so it isnt that good of a deal. Thanks!

Offer him $120 - $150 for the kegs if they’re in decent shape.

The soda machine is a pre mix machine, the machine orginally designed to work with the kegs that we all use for beer. The soda would come premixed in the tanks and it would be cooled with the machine that you have the opportunity to buy. Basically it is a self contained jockey box. The newer soda machines are the post mix machines, they are the ones that mix bag in a box syrup with cabonated water…thus the name post mix.

I have this model…http://www.cornelius.com/stellent/group … 000281.pdf

I bought it on eBay about a year ago for $7 with free shipping! Someone certainly lost out on that deal but it worked out good for me. I haven’t had an opportunity to use mine yet but I have always thought it would be an awesome way to serve beer. I have a kegerator so I didn’t have a need to use it but thought it would be cool to have to take to a party or a beer event. The only difficulty I could see in using it is that I don’t know if beer would flow like soda.

I certainly think it would be worth a try, like I said it’s basically an electric jockey box. You plug it in, it builds an ice bank over a series of coils through which the soda (or beer in your case) flows and cools before coming out the tap.

Mike

Well, after looking at all of the sweet kegerators that people have posted i think i am just going to be patient and go that route when the time comes. thanks for the good info!

Before you give up on the soda machine you should inventory the parts. It probably has 5 corney keg fittings for the out lines of the keg (I actually see most of them in the picture) and it probably also comes with a regulator connected to a distribution block that goes to 5 gas fittings for the corney keg. The fittings cost $6 each so if there is 10 that would be $60 worth of keg connectors plus the regulator and distribution block. The 5 taps will also work for serving beer, granted they aren’t perlicks (they are plastic) but they would work well until you could buy something else.

+1
I would offer $120 for the kegs. Forget the rest.

Should there be a cold plate in there too? Those things are worth ~$80 if you ever build a jockey box.

I’ll bet you can replace the soda faucets with beer faucets (may take a little ingenuity). you can also have some new sides made or make them yourself. if I can find the same set up myself, I’m gonna do it.

No need to change the soda faucets to beer faucets, there isn’t anything that makes a faucet specific to beer or soda. The faucets on these machines are plastic taps but that is no different than the picnic taps which have served tens of thousands of gallons of beer. In fact that taps on mine have a screw to adjust flow which is a cool feature. There is no reason you can’t use them as is.

No need to change the soda faucets to beer faucets, there isn’t anything that makes a faucet specific to beer or soda. The faucets on these machines are plastic taps but that is no different than the picnic taps which have served tens of thousands of gallons of beer. In fact that taps on mine have a screw to adjust flow which is a cool feature. There is no reason you can’t use them as is.[/quote]
it would look cool as hell with beer faucets. THAT is what I’m getting at. I use plastic picnic faucets myself. but tell me it wouldn’t look sweet to get rid of that cola display and add a line of chrome.

Check this out…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221116193464?ss ... 1438.l2649

Great deal at the current price, seller is going to loose big time on shipping, no way he can ship that for $50.00. At the current price you could sell the cold plate and bar gun and get most of your money back and have the rest for free.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com