SN Torpedo Clone

Hey, I was just looking for some feedback on this, it’s what I came up with after looking at various sources for AG recipes:

Boil Size : 23ltrs
Batch : 20ltrs

O.G 1.069
F.G 1.017
ABV 6.89%
IBU 72.09

Fermentable:
4.45KG LME

Grain:
0.45 KG Crystal 60L
0.225 KG CaraPils

Boil:
2 oz Magnum(10.7 AA) @ 60min
1 oz Hallertauer Mittelfruh (3.0 AA) @ 5min (Swapped for Crystal as my supplier has none)
1 oz Citra(14.5 AA) @ 5min

Dry Hop:
0.67 oz Magnum Dry Hop (10 days)
0.67 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh (10 days)
0.67 oz Citra Dry Hop (10 days)

Yeast:
US-05

Would appreciate any comments or opinions, I’m still pretty new to extract brewing!

Fermentables look reasonable, but those hops seem borderline bizarre.

Quick question: why are you doing volume/fermentable weight in Metric then hops in English? Just curious, but I guess to each their own. Its actually more precise to use grams for hop additions anyway.

Now on to my hop questions: Seems like a ton of bittering hops. Torpedo is a great beer, with layered hop aroma/flavor. I would think it would have a smaller bittering charge and way more late hops.

Also, not sure of the practical effects of dry hopping with Magnum. Not saying I wouldn’t do it or its wrong, I just haven’t seen it and I’m not sure what they would do for you. Magnum are a pretty clean bittering hop. Kind of like the ‘salt in the stew’ for a lot of IPA/IIPAs :mrgreen:

Did you search other forums for this recipe? I have to believe there is a decent clone out there.

Good luck, its a great beer, and I hope you come close or better yet, nail it!

By the way, if you’re going to go there with your Profile name, you clearly need to upload a pic from SelleckWaterfallSandwich as your avatar. Please update at your earliest convenience.

[quote=“Pietro”]Fermentables look reasonable, but those hops seem borderline bizarre.

Quick question: why are you doing volume/fermentable weight in Metric then hops in English? Just curious, but I guess to each their own. Its actually more precise to use grams for hop additions anyway.

Now on to my hop questions: Seems like a ton of bittering hops. Torpedo is a great beer, with layered hop aroma/flavor. I would think it would have a smaller bittering charge and way more late hops.

Also, not sure of the practical effects of dry hopping with Magnum. Not saying I wouldn’t do it or its wrong, I just haven’t seen it and I’m not sure what they would do for you. Magnum are a pretty clean bittering hop. Kind of like the ‘salt in the stew’ for a lot of IPA/IIPAs :mrgreen:

Did you search other forums for this recipe? I have to believe there is a decent clone out there.

Good luck, its a great beer, and I hope you come close or better yet, nail it![/quote]

Most of the recipes on the web have hop additions listed in imperial units (grr), I just write them that way out of habit.

In some recipes I found, they used less Magnum for bittering, but when I threw the amounts into a calculator, the IBU always seemed to fall a bit short of 65/70. I added more just to bump the IBU up - wrong move?

All the recipes I’ve seen seem to have 0.67 oz of magnum, citra and crystal for dry hopping so it’s monkey see - monkey do as far as that goes.

Just a couple of the recipes I’ve seen can be found

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13902&start=30#wrapheader
and
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13902&start=22

As for my avatar - I may do but it doesn’t sound too sfw for googling :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers for the advice!

remember, calculated IBU’s are different than perceived IBU’s. I would try to get your (calculated) number higher with bigger late additions and a small(ish) Magnum addition @ 60 minutes. I’d be curious as to your results with DH’ing magnums as well.

SelleckWaterfallSandwich is SFW, just simply ridiculous. And awesome.

The bittering hop amount doesn’t scare me. Its the relatively small late additions I think you should work on. Torpedo is a tremendously hoppy beer and I don’t think an ounce of halleratau and an ounce of citra are going to get you there. I would add that same amount again at flameout and maybe consider doubling it.