Smells a little funny

Recently I did a all-grain bavarian hefeweizen based on the NB kit using the Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan yeast). I pitched at 72F, which i know was a tad high, but I brought it down to about 67-68 (kept in water bath of around 62F) in a few hours before the fermentation started bubbling. It seemed to be very fast, it was done bubbling in about day and half, and when I smelled it from the blowoff tube, it smelled a little funny. Not terribly strong but a faint whiff of some sulfur, rotten eggs. I’m worried that I might have an infection (nothing I can do about it now except wait).

Is this a normal smell for this yeast?

Cheers,

yes, hefe yeasts generally throw out a good bit of sulfur

To second Pietro.

This is directly from Wyeast’s webpage:

“The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.”

Great thanks for the info! This is for a blackberry Hefe.

I was going to leave in primary fermenter for 7-10 days and then transfer to secondary with the frozen blackberries for 14-17 days. Any tips with fruit additions? This is my first shot at doing fruit additions.

Cheers,