Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Smashing Pumpkin Ale. First timer and first run

Hello,
First time home brewer and super excited. I made my first batch of pumpkin ale and it has been fermenting for 1 week. It appears activity and slowed to a crawl. I look at the bottom of the jar(Sorry for the lack of knowledge) and I have a yeast cake at the bottom and the head has fallen into the beer. Should I transfer to the second fermentation jar. Also when I do transfer do I leave the think sludge at the bottom or transfer complete contents over. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance for tips and pointers. :smiley:

I would leave it in the primary (1st jar) for another week. Just because you don’t see activity doesn’t mean fermentation is complete. If your hydrometer readings stay the same for a few days then fermentation should be complete. When you do transfer to your secondary(2nd jar) leave that cake (Trub) behind . Be careful when you transfer to your secondary and try not to introduce oxygen into your beer by splashing. Congrats on your first brew. FWIW I usually only use a secondary for an ale if I’m dry hopping . :cheers:

Cobia gives sound advice. You are going to hear a lot of opinions about whether or not to use a secondary (which is technically a bright tank unless you add fermentables). Do some research, try it both ways, and see what works best or what you like best.
Personally, I see my beers clear faster and better with a “secondary.”

Being your first beer, I am going to advise to keep it in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle.

You don’t need a secondary unless you’re adding something to the beer, like hops, or fruit, or other fermentables. The opinions on the matter vary wildly, but the general concensus is that a secondary isn’t needed - even though every NB recipe calls for one.

You run much less risk of contamination or oxidization if you skip the secondary step.

Let is sit for 2 more weeks, then bottle. Keep it in the bottle for 2 weeks. From there, you can start enjoying the beer. Though you’ll find the ones you drink later (After several more weeks) taste better than the ones you drink young.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com